Can You Spot The Atlantic In This Pic?

solopaddler

This post kinda ended up all over the place eh Mike? :w00t:

Lantic shmantics! I kinda like that reel you got there. You prefer the fatter spools on that type of reel for tribbin' or, everything fishing, Mike?

Just like it for casting hardware for salmonids as it casts a country mile.

Not a great reel by any means, but it's good for the intended purpose.

The stock drag on the US Reel isn't that great and needs to be tweaked with better washers.

A similar reel with an oversized spool and perhaps a slightly better stock drag is the Pfleuger Arbor.

The US reel's only 50$ marked down from 150$ at Cabela's right now......I was thinking of it. Was wanting to order some of those long cast mepps, at that the only site i can find that'll order them.

Anybody down near Niagara want to put in an order directly to Mepps and pick it up at the mail to store in Niagara NY. I could buy about 60$ worth of long casts from their site which only does US sales. After that either ship it to me or bring it up to BruceCounty?

Edited by Sconceptor

The US reel's only 50$ marked down from 150$ at Cabela's right now......I was thinking of it. Was wanting to order some of those long cast mepps, at that the only site i can find that'll order them.

Anybody down near Niagara want to put in an order directly to Mepps and pick it up at the mail to store in Niagara NY. I could buy about 60$ worth of long casts from their site which only does US sales. After that either ship it to me or bring it up to BruceCounty?

Scott, Cabelas has them cheap, but only the 180 size. Overstock Bait has the 240SX on sale for $50. Good price, but honestly that's probably all the reel is worth.

http://www.overstockbait.com/US_Reel_SuperCaster_p/240sx.htm

The 240 is "okay" but a bit on the heavy side. The 230 is the best all around size for steelhead.

As far as the spinners go if you place the order I'd be happy to deliver them for you.

I'm most likely headed up on Wednesday this week if you're around.

Cheers

Thanks,

However, I did try to place an order with Mepps, and it wouldn't let me do the sale, since I needed an American address for my VISA. Where in do you pick up the Mepps Longcasts?

I don't think I'll be getting to the city for a few weeks. I like the looks for their Little Wolf spoons, which I picked up 3 of. I have some Silver Fox Vibrams, but wish they'd cast further. I also added a few Len Thompson's, a few Rapala size 5 rattle traps, 3 pack of small Big O Cordells, and a few cleos. It's dam expense tossin lures, either snagging up and breaking off, or hammered and bitten off. Put 4 new ones in the drink on Thursday, (2 fish, 2 snags). I'm not going to use 8lb flouro tippet anymore, might bust out the 15lb flouro from my bass gear, might just do the straight braid. It is pretty exciting fishing though!

I have 4 white stradic 2500s, which I rotate between bass/walleye/trout rods. I really don't need a new spinning reel. Heck, I've even got a Diawa SS, on a bottom bouncing eye rod, just begging for more use.

I'm on nights, and will fish as much as possible this week. I'll try to get out Wednesday! Ernie got my rod done up in 1 day. I'll try it out this morning!

Thanks,

However, I did try to place an order with Mepps, and it wouldn't let me do the sale, since I needed an American address for my VISA. Where in do you pick up the Mepps Longcasts?

I don't think I'll be getting to the city for a few weeks. I like the looks for their Little Wolf spoons, which I picked up 3 of. I have some Silver Fox Vibrams, but wish they'd cast further. I also added a few Len Thompson's, a few Rapala size 5 rattle traps, 3 pack of small Big O Cordells, and a few cleos. It's dam expense tossin lures, either snagging up and breaking off, or hammered and bitten off. Put 4 new ones in the drink on Thursday, (2 fish, 2 snags). I'm not going to use 8lb flouro tippet anymore, might bust out the 15lb flouro from my bass gear, might just do the straight braid. It is pretty exciting fishing though!

I have 4 white stradic 2500s, which I rotate between bass/walleye/trout rods. I really don't need a new spinning reel. Heck, I've even got a Diawa SS, on a bottom bouncing eye rod, just begging for more use.

I'm on nights, and will fish as much as possible this week. I'll try to get out Wednesday! Ernie got my rod done up in 1 day. I'll try it out this morning!

Just call Mepps directly and explain the situation, they'll let you place the order.

It can get expensive for sure. Can't believe you're using 8lb tippet though. I'm running 20lb braid with 12lb tippet and that seems to be working okay. My buddy was hitting fish on straight braid, no tippet on Saturday. Don't forget its a reaction bite.

Not surprised about Ernie, he works super fast, sometimes too fast.

Hopefully he did a good job for you.

Which blank did he build up? You'll have to let me know how you like it.

And I know all about nights. When I fish Wednesdays I'm leaving the office at 5am after coming off a 16 hour shift.

Sleep is overrated. ;)

Are you implying that only fly-fisherman care about not killing a native species that is struggling? So your saying gear-guys don't care about the resource?

What a clever comment....

I was not implying that gear guys don't care. I release 99% of my fish and I'm sure most of the gear guys do as well, but on this particular river the fly guys are the majority and they look at you as though you killed their mother when you rope a fish. My son caught his first trout this weekend and I had to move after some fly guy with an uber expensive Orvis rod and reel kept giving us attitude about keeping a fish. He probably just wanted to get in on our spot, but I wasn't really happy about this guy talking crap in front of my kid. We just moved downstream and found some other fish. The fact that a fly guy caught that Atlantic probably made everybody high-five each other on the river. But if a gear guy caught that fish, there would have been a whole different attitude.

Edited by Kingsalmon

Guest chase4chrome

I wouldn't eat any of them either, nor anything else from SO streams--best to catch-and-release anyway (but oops, now I'm exposing my predilection vis-a-vis angling ethics).

Guest chase4chrome

I was not implying that gear guys don't care. I release 99% of my fish and I'm sure most of the gear guys do as well, but on this particular river the fly guys are the majority and they look at you as though you killed their mother when you rope a fish. My son caught his first trout this weekend and I had to move after some fly guy with an uber expensive Orvis rod and reel kept giving us attitude about keeping a fish. He probably just wanted to get in on our spot, but I wasn't really happy about this guy talking crap in front of my kid. We just moved downstream and found some other fish. The fact that a fly guy caught that Atlantic probably made everybody high-five each other on the river. But if a gear guy caught that fish, there would have been a whole different attitude.

OH OH

I think we are broaching a touchy subject here, one that, I may very well wade into later. Suffice to say trash talk on the river doesn't generate good will. Let a young boy keep the odd trout--no harm done (it's a "teachable" opportunity--more fathers should teach their children well, as the song goes). As far as "gear guys" are concerned, they take too many liberties (how long of a drift??????? Really????) just as, admittedly, some fly fishing guys--really makes for an unpleasant outing. But I've come across some really decent float guys--it's like any community (neighbourhood, forum, whatever) there are always a few who have to piss in the pond and it's left to more altruistic people to ensure the continued vitality and health of the community, river bank etc.

Guest chase4chrome

I like the fly guys who stand in the middle of the run tossing shot and egg sucking leeches under strike indicators. If that's not purist fly fishing, I dunno what is :) :)

I don't think anyone is making any claim regarding "purists." As I've said, each community is populated by idiots.

I like the fly guys who stand in the middle of the run tossing shot and egg sucking leeches under strike indicators. If that's not purist fly fishing, I dunno what is :) :)

I don't think anyone is making any claim regarding "purists." As I've said, each community is populated by idiots.

If that's the case, then on Friday a lot of them were there! :)

Edited by Kingsalmon

Wait a second Bill...are you implying that the huge buck brown didn't bite with its tail? :dunno:

"FISH ON!...COMIN DOWN!"

Who would want to eat a kelt

Agreed, drinking them is much preferred.

165_Kelt.jpg

I think people are missing the boat on this one...my guess is the fish is fertilizer. If you notice, the gold has already been mined.

Nope, read my earlier reply bud.

It was a fly fisherman who caught it and roped it. He had no use for the eggs, they were spilled out all over the ground.