Floatation Suits

sconceptor

Hey,

I'm thinking it's time I upgrade my floatation suit for this upcoming season. I currently have a 10year old 2 piece bouy o boy, which is now slightly too small. I want a one piece XXL. To keep cool in the hut, I won't mind unzipping and letting it hang behind me. It's just as easy as wearing a 2 piece. I am looking at Mustang's website and prices at Royal Distrubting and LeBarons. Their Atlantic series is the mid range one, which is still close to 400$. LeBaron's has Helly Hanson's one piece for about 300$, that seams to have nice features.

Mustang must be the safest for that price. It must have neoprene/valcor wrists and ankles along with pull straps on the thighs and waste. For safety this is likely the best. For function, it's lacking.

Helly Hanson has zipped arm pits to help keep cool. I like that feature in the winter, my Columbia coat gets the pits unzipped often. HH also has d rings to put the boat motor stop cord on, reinforced knees, pockets in the thighs and lined chest hand warmer pockets. Also I think the fabric 420 denier nylon might be tougher. My old suit, which I think is simular to Mustang, got a few cuts in it from hooks.

Could I please get others opinions on what they have and what they like? Thank you!

I bought the H.H. about a month ago and have been using it since. I'm not sure of the model, but it has the built in suspenders. Pockets all over in the right places, velcro cuffs and ankles, belts at thighs and waist all adjustable.

It seems a bit stiff to move around in but I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in. The suspenders are a really good thing, great for dressing down. You can open the front completely without the suit falling down and dragging. Polar fleece collar and handwarmer pockets. The colour is floro orange and black. I paid 350 plus tax a local merchant. So far I really like it.

Hey,

I'm thinking it's time I upgrade my floatation suit for this upcoming season. I currently have a 10year old 2 piece bouy o boy, which is now slightly too small. I want a one piece XXL. To keep cool in the hut, I won't mind unzipping and letting it hang behind me. It's just as easy as wearing a 2 piece. I am looking at Mustang's website and prices at Royal Distrubting and LeBarons. Their Atlantic series is the mid range one, which is still close to 400$. LeBaron's has Helly Hanson's one piece for about 300$, that seams to have nice features.

Mustang must be the safest for that price. It must have neoprene/valcor wrists and ankles along with pull straps on the thighs and waste. For safety this is likely the best. For function, it's lacking.

Helly Hanson has zipped arm pits to help keep cool. I like that feature in the winter, my Columbia coat gets the pits unzipped often. HH also has d rings to put the boat motor stop cord on, reinforced knees, pockets in the thighs and lined chest hand warmer pockets. Also I think the fabric 420 denier nylon might be tougher. My old suit, which I think is simular to Mustang, got a few cuts in it from hooks.

Could I please get others opinions on what they have and what they like? Thank you!

DROP BY GAGNONS WE HAVE A GREAT SELECTION OF SURVIVAL SUITS. OUR SALE SHOULD BE STARTING SOON, LOOK FOR ME FROM THURS-SUNDAYS

CHECK THE WEBSITE WWW.GAGNONSPORTS.COM

DAVE

Edited by DMASSE

I have the Helly Hansen Delta II from Lebarons thats now a couple of years old. Its a very warm suit and has many usefull pockets. It is a little bulky and heavier than the Mustangs but I love it and would buy it again. Its well built and well priced at $288.00. Cant go wrong with the HH. IMO.

Edited by motion

I got my suit off of a fellow OFC'er, BillM. Got a great deal on a Mustang Integrity HX. Top on the line floater suit. Very warm and 100% waterproof. My buddy has the Helly Hansen one and his only complaint is that it's very stiff and rigid. My Integrity HX is super flexible in comparison to his.

I have the HH Alpha One. It was less expensive than the Mustang with more features. It's warm and still in great shape after a few seasons of casual use. Other than that, I haven't fell through any ice so I can't say how well it actually works :P. I noticed the outer shell of the HH Delta 2 is all 420 Denier nylon, while the Alpha 1 is 210 Denier nylon with 420 Denier on the knees and butt. The Alpha 1 has more features though.

I'd agree with ckrd2007, the HH is a bit stiff. It's the only suit I have worn, so I don't know how it compares to others.

Mustang brand suits are the most popular where I fish.

The suits from both companies have some form of approval as a PFD, so I don't think one would work better than the other for keeping you afloat (at least when they're new, after a few years who knows).

Also, if you want a one piece, get one with suspenders (like the HH Alpha One) so you can unzip it and keep your pants on!!

Edited by FishLogic

Although I am not current with floatsiut advancements I personaly would not look at anything. I bought a Mustang Atlantic survival about 6 yrs ago. Compleetly satisfied -10 to -20 no problem -20 to -40 layer up properly and you will be comfortable...

Just my 2cents.

a little noisy when its cold out but fit/function and comfort surpass any noise complaint.

Saltydawg.

Bring on the ice.

50-60 days and counting for Lady SIMCOE :thumbsup_anim:

I got my suit off of a fellow OFC'er, BillM. Got a great deal on a Mustang Integrity HX. Top on the line floater suit. Very warm and 100% waterproof. My buddy has the Helly Hansen one and his only complaint is that it's very stiff and rigid. My Integrity HX is super flexible in comparison to his.

Best suit out there.. I wish it was a XXL and I wouldn't have sold it!!!

Agreed! Buy the best, first.

The Mustang Integrity HX 1-piece is the least bulky and most flexible suit out there. That's due to the thinnest 'foam flotation/insulation' material available, and the 100% Waterproof GoreTex type material makes this the only 'real' severe weather suit in my opinion.

Many others will be water resistant, not waterproof! There's a big difference especially during sustained rainfall or spray from the lake.

Choose wisely good.gif

Agreed! Buy the best, first.

The Mustang Integrity HX 1-piece is the least bulky and most flexible suit out there. That's due to the thinnest 'foam flotation/insulation' material available, and the 100% Waterproof GoreTex type material makes this the only 'real' severe weather suit in my opinion.

Many others will be water resistant, not waterproof! There's a big difference especially during sustained rainfall or spray from the lake.

Choose wisely good.gif

Salus says hi.