zone 16

bassinator

Hello all...was checking the regs in zone 16 and it says that the Credit is open all year from the south side of the 403 bridge downstream to lake Ontario. I thought that it was a fish sanctuary past the Dundas bridge?? I found no exceptions to this in the regs or maybe I'm just blind!! Is this correct? Thanks Jeff

Below the Dundas bridge to the QEW used to be a sanctuary, but we now have the 403 to the lake open all year.

When did that change? I'm just curious because I grew up on the Credit and south of Dundas was always a no-no. Dundas to the 403 (Erindale Park) was always year round.

in the eighties it was only open Dundas to Burnamthorpe, year round :whistling:

You're probably right, the 403 wouldnt have even been there when it was our playground.

We used to hike up to the "hydro lines" (where the 403 is now) from Burnhamthorpe to do some body surfing in the rapids, sometimes we brought some rods and caught some decent smallies. That would've been late seventies, early eighties. The Burnhamthorpe bridge was just being built.

You're probably right, the 403 wouldnt have even been there when it was our playground.

We used to hike up to the "hydro lines" (where the 403 is now) from Burnhamthorpe to do some body surfing in the rapids, sometimes we brought some rods and caught some decent smallies. That would've been late seventies, early eighties. The Burnhamthorpe bridge was just being built.

Funny you say smallies. The credit holds,or did back then.I wouldnt dought we bumped into each other back then.

Still one of my biggest smallies came from the drift right at the ice breakers at Erindale Park just after they put them in probably 1984-5 ish. I fished that river all summer long for smallies and would get a couple steelhead each trip and then hard at it again come NOvember. That's when the browns and cohos would hammer clown colored hot shots and #4 colorado blades till your arms hurt. Only lived 15 minutes away and still has good memories when I cross Burnhamthorpe or Dundas bridge. Got chased out of the Mississauga Golf course more than a few times. Smallie fishing down through there was awesome in the summer