Saskatchewon Pike trip

Pete Maina

Hi OFNers,

Just thought I'd pop in here and say hi. Is everyone enjoying spring? Beautiful, eh? :whistling: Where's all the global warming?

I expect many of you are like me in that you are in the transition mode between ice and open water. I spoke with your feerless leader here, TJ, this morning ... was telling him about my final ice fishing trip of the year in Saskatchewon. Great group of Canucks there ... they say (EH) a whole bunch there ... so I'm still saying eh ... eh? :thumbsup_anim:

We were on Tobin Lake in Saskatchewon, with John Gillespie's TV show (some of you know of it). Still plenty of ice there, as an auger extension was still necessary. We had a great time and caught some real nice northern pike. The biggest was a 45 1/2 inch fish with a great build, that Rob Manthei, good friend and one of our writers at the magazine got. First day was real good and then fishing got a little tougher, coupled with some bad luck, it seemed, hooking fish (which I expect was simply because fish were pretty "off" and not grabbing baits well). We had a great trip though ... I even got a fish on one of my 9 foot muskie rods ... pretty funny.

Well, I expect it will thaw out soon ... and we'll be :Gonefishing:

Pete

Edited by Pete Maina

sounds like a great way to end the season..

love John Gillespie's show

don't know where he will be fishing the next week, I like the idea of shooting a show and putting it on the air the same week..I wish a station in Ontario would pick up his show.....

HI,

Boy, rough crowd around here ... didn't know you Canucks were all this skeptical.

How ya doing Lew? ... good to hear from you. Of course you too Bunk and all. The show actually just aired ... so, ha ha :whistling: ... for all you doubters, there are some folks who have actually "seen" what we caught.

As far as pics, I have a couple issues there. First, I'm a complete computer dope, and not even remotely certain I could post a pic if I had one. Computers and me, well :wallbash:

The other problem is currently don't have any. I did take some stills of Rob's big one, and got some nice shots, but it was the old-fashioned slide film. I just got it back and will be getting it out to our production guy at the magazine ... and possibly after a while can get some scans. It really was a pretty fish.

Anyway, I think I'll be stepping (somewhat ... and grudgingly) into the new millenium and getting a digital camera for this coming year :rolleyes:

Pete

you can also draw the picture of the fish, like we did for Lew and crazy

fishlew.jpg

and if you get a big one you get one of these

50bucks.jpg

which would be 45", converted to US

but you have to post pictures...lol

Edited by Terry

Ahhhh dood. Once you go digital every good fish up the hole or in the boat gets the full on "cat walk" treatment. It's kinda sick in a way for the fish, as they might just develop that "metro-gay" sorta complex from all the attention. Then, down the road they won't slam the baits but instead just nibble and nit-pick around the fat, maybe taste the feces and veggies in the area around the bait, then later complain about their weight and not want to eat anything at all.

Stay old school and the fishing will never change for us.

I'll take your word on your big fish this time then Pete. Next time, scan the print and send it directly to me. Got the photo thing down pat around here. :whistling::clapping:

You Canucks are too much ... Loonies, Toonies ... correct change :whistling:

FYI Smokey that Gillespie's show doesn't air on WFN, sadly ... just The Next Bite. Hope folks are continuing to enjoy that.

Dood, "metro-gay-sorta" ... I think I will stay old school and risk being called a liar :clapping:

Pete

Hi all,

Appreciate the comments and correspondence today from folks here ... pics, pics, pics ... OK, I'll try to remember ... had some good laughs.

No sweat Smokey ...

Doug offered that I spelled Saskatchewon, 'er, there's no "O" there ... sorry SaskatchewAn folks, for the mess up. We'll leave it that way and see if anyone else notices ...

Musta been that rocking fishin' tune and ... :wallbash:

Well, sadly, to Minneapolis for meetings tomorrow and Green Bay next day for seminars ... you Canucks be good! :clapping: