Smoking

skinny

Ok so as per my other post My brother and I built a smoker looks nice but not working very well. Issue was it wasn't creating smoke. we put the tray of chips in above the flame area but they didn't start to give off smoke until we actually lit the chips to burn. and the flame unit just kept the heat. I always thoght the flame would make the chips smolder. any of this sound familure to anyone out there that smokes.

looking for more info/how it works in yours

In 20 years of smoking, I've never soaked my chips, store bought or home made. If you're using an electric heater, your chip pan is either too thick or not close enough to the heater. My smoker has a 250 watt "U" shaped element that almost touches the bottom of the tin pan. It takes about 1/2 hour for the element to really heat up red and then the chips will smoulder and make smoke. They never "burn" outright.

Looking back at your photos of the smoker, if that's your chip pan, it needs to be a lot closer to the heater.

Edited by Fisherman

the smoker is gas

my bro let the chips soak over night

he put them in cabinet and watched for 2hr and no smoke cabinet temp reached 180 easily in that time

after aprox 2 hr he lit the chips with a torch to get them going and I think things were ok from then

how long should it take for smoke to start

I'm wondering if the flame is to large causing it to heat fast and stop thus not putting chips in heat long enough

I also think he mover the chip tray closer to flame several times it maybe sitting on top of flame guard now

the smoker is gas

how long should it take for smoke to start

1/2 and hour.

I'm wondering if the flame is to large causing it to heat fast and stop thus not putting chips in heat long enough

Quite likey correct

I also think he mover the chip tray closer to flame several times it maybe sitting on top of flame guard now

Yes.

curently there is a bit of gap around door (not closed) we havn't cut a vent yet as it is easy to cut holes hard to fill them so we want to make sure things are right before getting carried away with holes how much vent you think is needed???

Maybe a 1 inch hole on each side at the top. It also functions to let out the vapour from drying the fish(or whatever else you're smoking). Are you aware that propane also gives off a fair bit of vapour that will otherwise stay inside the smoker. To cover the vents or make adjustments, you can use a small plastic baffle on a wingnut. The aluminum smoker I have has small crinkles in the joints at the top and also the front door has about a 1/8th gap all around for venting.

it's not propane it's nat gas and we will start with 1" holes I guess I also thing we are going to downsize the jet a fair bit to try and increase flame time

Natural gas does the same as propane, just think about winter and all those chimneys giving off the vapour. You just don't see it in warmer weather because the vapour doesn't condense for the visual effect like it does in winter.

To smoke meat that has to be cooked at the same time, I just use my BBQ.

On one side I put lots of charcoal briquets. When they are hot, I place on top, wet and dry mixed wood chips wrapped in double tin foil with holes in it.

On the other side of the BBQ on the top rack I put frozen, or really cold meat, and a drip pan below.

When the meat is cooked through, it looks like ham inside and tastes great. I usually completely fill the one side of the BBQ with frozen roasts, sausage, and pork backs and take each out as they are cooked. Sometimes I smoke jalapeno peppers above the meat.

Pam

skinny, you need to tell us what you are seeing and doing rather then telling us what your brother thinks is going on. If I'm going to smoke anything I plan to waste the day doing it so it's done right. I made a wood box smoker before and it took forever to get hot and do the job. But keep the wood chips as close to the flame/heat as you can for it to make smoke.

I had a tin smoker for years and done lots of trout and salmon in it

Electric element---l'il frypan---never soaked my chips

I loved Hickory

Anyway I digress---My cuz had a fridge turned into a smoker---but the fire was lit of course in a box outside and piped into the box

Your call

There's hot smoked and cold smoked

My old tinny---would be a whole day and probably too many ales

Neighbors hangin outside waitin on that fresh smoked fish and a cold beer----dang I miss my smoker

I have not been smoking long, only done it a few times so I am learning every time.

I soak my chips for a few hours, the thought is they will last a little longer, not sure that they do.

I wrap my soaked chips in foil and poke holes in it to avoid them catching on fire and in hopes that they last longer.

A package of chips seems to smoke for about an hour.

Propane smoker.

Yesterday I smoked a prime rib (MMMMM), was very windy and a little cool outside, took about 45min - an hour at 240 for the chips to get smoking. Your temp seems pretty low, maybe just some more patience. I say have one more beer next time before you give up.

Just try again, and keep messing with it. Smoking seems to be frustrating for a while but the food tastes fantastic so it's all worth it.

Edited by Bubbles