light spinning rods?

northernpike56

Thinking about getting a 5'9 or 6'0 light spinning rod mainly for smaller fish such as resident browns and specs, stocked pond rainbows, panfish, small bass, etc. (any fish from 1/2 to 3 pounds). I will be throwing mostly #1 and #2 spinners (mepps, panther martin, blue fox, etc.) with it as well as small spoons, small plugs, and live bait. I would be fishing small-medium sized creeks and ponds mainly with it.

I tend to be VERY hard on my equipment although I'm working on being more gentle after I broke 2 abu garcia rods and a reel this year wallbash.gif

I am wondering if a 5'9 light rod would be the best for this application, or should I be going with the 6'0? Distance and precision casting are important to me as well as being able to "feel" the lures action while im reeling it in.

I also would love to hear some experiences you've had with any similar rods as well as any suggustions on what brands to buy. I hear st. croix sells a 5'9 triumph, anyone firmiliar with that?

Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated

- Matt

Edited by northernpike56

well I am hard on my equipment

hard on...sorry had to laugh

ok back to business I break, bend and abuse equipment

I bought a cheap UL ugly stick so when the good ones break I have a back up

well I really like the cheap uglystick

and I have bent it and stepped on it and had to straiten out the eyes that I bent but it takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n

If you're looking for a cheaper rod that has a lifetime warranty and is supposed to be durable, then the Ugly Stik is for you. If you want all of that but also want to feel your lure's action, I'd suggest a Voltaeus.

I have not really much experience outside of these two rods, but I can feel so much more after ditching the Stik.

Ill second that ugly stick comment I have 1 that's light medium that I've had for 20odd years and still using it. Lots and lots of feel and hasn't broken yet.

However I do treat everything I own with care and respect so....

Lol

Edited by SirWhite

There isn't going to be much difference - in either accuracy or distance - between a 5' 9" rod and a 6' rod. Distance is more a function of matching the rods action to the lures you are throwing with it than length: IMHO. I would look at the new Shimano rods. They are putting an IM8 blank on a $75 rod now.

is this "bass pro shops tourney special IM7 graphite spinning rod" any good? they are only $49.99 and they have a 5'6 and 6'0 light available!

Thinking about that or the ugly stik which is also available in the 5'6 and 6'0 light as well for $29.99! Maybe I'll get both and just keep the ugly stick as a backup like some of you suggusted because its only 30 bucks!

Has anyone had experience ordering rods online from BPS and having them shipped to you? Any delays, broken rods, etc? I'd love to hear some of your experiences with this type of shopping!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

when stalking creeks i always liked a 5'6. it made a 10 inch rainbow feel like a brute and the decreased length was good to keep your tackle out of the alders.

when stalking creeks i always liked a 5'6. it made a 10 inch rainbow feel like a brute and the decreased length was good to keep your tackle out of the alders.

Yes I do a lot of small creek fishing for the 8-14" rainbows and browns as well as panfish and bass. Do you think the 5'6 is reasonably good at throwing lighter tackle too? Thanks

I have had the ugly stik and the berkley and the Shimano rod's and I say go with the Shimano Voltaeus! I landed a 45" musky on a Med 7' rod the other day (not targeted) and the grip is a cork wrap. I hate the foam garbage they throw on rod's now...

PS, the berkley is my back-up back-up rod...

Edited by GBW

I have had the ugly stik and the berkley and the Shimano rod's and I say go with the Shimano Voltaeus! I landed a 45" musky on a Med 7' rod the other day (not targeted) and the grip is a cork wrap. I hate the foam garbage they throw on rod's now...

PS, the berkley is my back-up back-up rod...

I heard you can land sharks with a Voltaeus! (I love mine)

I heard you can land sharks with a Voltaeus! (I love mine)

The Voltaeus is a great rod. Much better feel than an Ugly Stick IMO. They run about the same price too with the lifetime warranty. Haven't seen many around in the lighter models but being Shimano I am sure you can find them!

I will say that the Lightning Rod has been great bang for the buck for me...but I've only used their baitcasting models. The new shock as well as the older grey ones...very impressed.

Also just picked up a Rapala TS2....I'm amazed at how nice it is for a $50 rod. I myself got the 5'10" vertical jigging model....possibly a bit too much backbone for what you want....but it's REALLY light in the hand, and has great sensitivity...worth a look.

To your original question, the BPS line is not bad at all either! Berkely, BPS and Rapala rods I *think* are all in the same aisle at BPS...try'em out. I vote to forget the Ugly Stik, but that's just personal bias cuz I don't DO ugly whistling.gif