steelhead newbie

skinny

ok so in the spring i got out to the rivers in the area and found some steelheads even caught one but that was different spot and about 3 to 4 weeks after opening. I found a spot that there was quite a few swiming but would not take. I was told they hadn't sawned yet so they won't . well They did the job I guess and headed back. My question is when should I be watching for the return and the chance to get one on my hook.

If the fish are there you fish them. I've caught plenty of steelhead that were full of eggs still...not sure why anyone would say they won't hit if they haven't spawned yet. Best time to fish a river is after a rain. That triggers them to run upstream. Its a game of timing though...too fast and muddy and its tough...catch it when levels are on the decline and there is visibility in the water then you are golden.

If the fish are there you fish them. I've caught plenty of steelhead that were full of eggs still...not sure why anyone would say they won't hit if they haven't spawned yet. Best time to fish a river is after a rain. That triggers them to run upstream. Its a game of timing though...too fast and muddy and its tough...catch it when levels are on the decline and there is visibility in the water then you are golden.

basically if the rivers become low and very clear and you can see them stacked in pools the chances are they wont, because they can see u and the chances are they have seen everything thrown at them, after a good rain when the water starts to clear is a better bet, or even try later at night in clear water when its quitier u mite get a few to strike.

basically if the rivers become low and very clear and you can see them stacked in pools the chances are they wont, because they can see u and the chances are they have seen everything thrown at them, after a good rain when the water starts to clear is a better bet, or even try later at night in clear water when its quitier u mite get a few to strike.

Yep. Excellent points trib hunter. There is nothing more maddening then seeing half a dozen swim out of the way as your bait drifts by lol :wallbash: I night fish for them a lot and have success...no crowds either!

these ones I'm waiting for are on a friends property. I have permision to fish the area. I'm waiting for thier return just not sure when that will be

Just make sure the river on your friends property is part of the year round, or extended season exceptions. Otherwise its likely a sanctuary now, until the 4th saturday in April.

Steelhead run in both Spring and fall. Once you've read up your regs, another smart thing to do is read up on the fish. Here's a good example:

Steelhead article - Ontario out of Doors

I'm with CCMT on the "they're not biting because they haven't spawned yet" thing. One of the best times is to get them before they spawn, well before, in early or late March when they start entering the streams for the Spring run.

Good luck in your quest! Post often and you'll find help here :)

p.-