Thanksgiving fishing report

GBW

Well thanksgiving has come and gone and this is one that I will remember for a long, long time.

We went to my folks place on the lake Saturday afternoon. So I take off for an hour to get some fishing in trying to get me a nice fresh walleye for dinner. No dice. All I caught was just bass… I gave up and went back to the cottage.

As the day was turning to evening I figured I would give it one last shot. Packed my jigging rod in the boat and set off to find me a walleye or two. After a few more bass I get a solid thump. I’m thinking, oh man here’s either a huge fall smallie or a real hog of a walleye! It’s now getting dark out and hard to see but as I look down all I see is a massive tail as the fish is heading under the tinny. I’m about 250/300 feet away from the cottage, I can hear them talking and sure enough when I see the tail “Oh damn it’s a huge Musky!” was sort of how it went. Lucky for me the kids’ didn’t hear that… Here I am fighting the biggest musky I have ever seen in this lake (and I’ve seen a few sight fishing for them at opener!) on a cheap spinning combo with 12LB nanofil line!! The fish decided to take one last run as I reach for the net and I’m lucky my drag was set just right. It took about 45’ of line out as it mad it’s dive away from the boat. I managed to get all that line back rather quick, get the net ready and land it! This fish was AMAZING looking!!!! I got it unhooked in the net in the water and was reaching for my b.berry to take a pic when it decides to do a death roll in the net. It had part of the net in its jaw so being the rookie musky guy that I am I went for the pliers to help free the fish, D’OH! Down they go to the bottom of the lake… So I get the fish freed up and think, ok, now is it pic time? I bring it in the boat and get it ready, no chance as I almost lost the phone and now I had the fish out for 20 seconds and said the hell with it, the fish going back means more to me!

So now the fish is back in the lake and I’ve got it by the tail, only cause that’s the safest place to hold it in my mind! I get the tape measure out and I’m ready to see how big this amazing, gorgeous green monster is… I have the tape hooked (well laying) in front of its nose and just as I’m getting to the tail and reading between 43 and 45” long it decides it’s spent enough time with me… So I call it a night and head back in to be questions by everyone “where is the fish?” and further comments like “we could hear you but not clearly and we could see you with the net, what happened to the fish?”. To my reply of it was a musky, I had to let it go! Sure enough the “well, where are the pic’s of it?” came out and then I had to educate them on how fragile they are and that I wasn’t going to drag it back to the cottage for a pic as I would have killed it doing so. Needless to say my wife and father are the two that had seen me with the net standing in the boat and a ‘big fish’ in it as it went from dusk to dark.

It was my last fish for 2011 from that lake because I decided to end my season there on a high note. Thankfully I had the huge net with me or all I would have is the memory of the big fish that got away…

Thanks for reading.

Geoff

SIGH.............I'd really like to believe you Geoff.....butwhistling.gif

JK !!!rofl2.gif

Best advice is to stay calm, let the fish calm down, and do what you did, release it as quickly as you can, and enjoy the story telling for years to come.Gonefishing.gif

Thanks all, I think... :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, I dont know Geoff. I just dont know ?

Come smell the net or take a DNA (or is it ESA or MSA?) sample off the net. :w00t: I can get the jig out it killed and post a pic of it if needed... :P

What with your recent issues with regard to your "honesty", the only thing I can be sure of from this report, is that you were out on the lake in the dark, screaming like a school girl... it was dark after all! :whistling:

HH

Edited by Headhunter

What with your recent issues with regard to your "honesty", the only thing I can be sure of from this report, is that you were out on the lake in the dark, screaming like a school girl... it was dark after all! whistling.gif

HH

rofl2.gif

I wouldn't have put it quite like that.whistling.gif

ya....i guess i wouldaangel.png

What with your recent issues with regard to your "honesty", the only thing I can be sure of from this report, is that you were out on the lake in the dark, screaming like a school girl... it was dark after all! :whistling:

HH

Good one HH :clapping: That just cost me a new keyboard :rofl2:

haters, you all just wish you were there...

Great story Geoff :thumbsup_anim: Congrats :clapping:

awesome man!!! i love this story... you will have the whole movie of that moment burned into your mind forever... congrats geoff!!

Thanks Mike!! Now we need to get you out on that same lake next year... :whistling: