fenwick vs. st croix

bassmaster4

I grew up fishing Fenwick. This was back when there shop was in Niagara Falls 80s. They were the best rods or one of the best. They used to sell Woodstream products too. You could buy "seconds" for very cheap. My first steelhead rod was bought in 1984 - a second. I still have it today although it’s been replaced many times.

I own several St.Croix rods too. The Ultra Legend series is terrific. I've built several of these for fly rods. Fenwick quality may have decreased, however, I recently bought two (HMX) and I'm happy. St. Croix uses nice components for the price and they are a good company, but their gimmicky rods aren't my thing. Triumph rods are variable – I had one break. Checking it out afterwards the spine was super thin on one side. Go for the lifetime warranty with St.Croix and you won’t go wrong. But $$ where as Fenwick will honour 5 years but the price is lower. BTW - Canadian Tire does sell St.Croix - Kenora I believe. Also they have a centre in Mississauga for warranties.

I grew up fishing Fenwick. This was back when there shop was in Niagara Falls 80s. They were the best rods or one of the best. They used to sell Woodstream products too. You could buy "seconds" for very cheap. My first steelhead rod was bought in 1984 - a second. I still have it today although it's been replaced many times.

I own several St.Croix rods too. The Ultra Legend series is terrific. I've built several of these for fly rods. Fenwick quality may have decreased, however, I recently bought two (HMX) and I'm happy. St. Croix uses nice components for the price and they are a good company, but their gimmicky rods aren't my thing. Triumph rods are variable – I had one break. Checking it out afterwards the spine was super thin on one side. Go for the lifetime warranty with St.Croix and you won't go wrong. But $ where as Fenwick will honour 5 years but the price is lower. BTW - Canadian Tire does sell St.Croix - Kenora I believe. Also they have a centre in Mississauga for warranties.

Good info, thanks.

I bought a fenwick elite tech muskie rod from Crappy tire (got it on sale so I figured why not) but now you guys have me worried lol. Good thing I have another rod. I haven't had a problem with it so far but I haven't used it that much either.

Handle it with care and there'll be no reason for it to break....usually.

i work at a tackle shop and have heard great things about both brands but i must admit fenwick hands down is the most returned brand with broken tips and top ends. st croix used to be quite a hassle to deal with warranty and returns but thats no longer the case for us. we take a 20 dollar deposit for shipping and other fees and if we have the rod in stock we will hand you a new one then and there.

Let's not start a fear campaign for everyone that uses Fenwicks. They definitely aren't at the top of the industry now, but I feel that they sure are a contender for $80 - 130 range.

The 2 times I did see a fenwick break, they were more in user fault. (Wrapped around tip and loaded up the rod, Trying to pull apart a beaver dam). And the warranty service has been good for me.

I sent it to the States, and had a new rod in just over a month. No, Fenwick doesn't sponsor me, but they sure can contact me here to do that ;)

I also think that Elite Tech Smallmouth Series is looking mighty fine!

Nothing really wrong with either IMO, but they address different markets.

St. Croix is a more premium brand and serves the mid-range ($80-$200) and high-end markets (>$200). The lower priced products are assembled in Mexico, but the rest are from the USA.

Fenwick used to be a premium brand, but was bought out by Pure Fishing and they moved production to China [AFAIK anyway]. They primarily serve the low and mid-range market (<$150).

Of course, there is some overlap between the product lines based on price. However, does Fenwick use the same quality blanks and other components as St. Croix in those products? Maybe in some cases, but I'd guess they probably don't for the most part. So, personally I'd go with St. Croix if I was looking for a rod in the mid-range price point.

25/30 years ago I built my own rods using Fenwick blanks that were warrantied for life...that kit cost me $65 way back then....

Now I only purchase Cabela's Fish Eagle® II Spinning Rods which can be purchased for only $59.00...don't know who makes them, don't care.....I no longer pay for name brand stuff...Cabela's stands behind their products 100% and that's good enough for me.

St.Croix = made in USA.........Fenwick = made in CHINA.........That alone should tell you something, and personally, I'd gladly pay a few more bucks to support a North American company!

Made in China, does not always mean CHEAP.remember, they do not design the rod, they manufacture it to the specifications of the company they are making it for.

Made in China, does not always mean CHEAP.remember, they do not design the rod, they manufacture it to the specifications of the company they are making it for.

then how come nothing in a dollar store comes from Canada...lol

i worked for a company that had other companies make their product to their specs... are stuff was great... the outsourced stuff was crap... and that is within our borders...

then how come nothing in a dollar store comes from Canada...lol

i worked for a company that had other companies make their product to their specs... are stuff was great... the outsourced stuff was crap... and that is within our borders...

For the dollar store stuff, lets just say, cheap labor force.For the company where you worked,who knows.Maybe if it had been made in China instead of within our borders, it may have been tastierbiggrin.gif

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Fenwick still makes a decent rod, for people who have a budget to follow.I have used mine for 2 years without a complaint.Its sensitive, light, strong enough for what i use it for, and comfortable to hold all day long while fishing.I probably wouldnt use it for walleye, or bigger fish, but thats why we all have differnt rods for differnt apps.

IMHO

No.1 G. Loomis

No.2 St. Croix

After that the rest of the pack.

agreed.

these two manufacturers are far ahead in terms of design, actions etc.

you really don't know until you cast a higher end offering from SC or Loomis.

everyone else is playing catch up.

I have a fenwick from the late 90s that was made in the USA and it is a great rod.

but its heavy for its rating.

one thing that both SC and Loomis do better than most of the others is make light blanks.

I don't bother with the other brands anymore. if I am going to spend money on a rod, I save up for one of the mid to high range offerings from these two.

I own both types of rods and have never had problems with either. I have to agree with what some of the other respondents have said that I would buy a St. Croix over a Fenwick today because Fenwick is now owned by Berkley. St. Croix rods are at least built in North America.

I love my Fenwick Techna rods, than they came out with the elite series and I lost interest in Fenwick. I'm kinda lost right now with rod buying. I think I'll give the 2012 Shimano Compre's a try. I also have some of last years Quantum Tour edition rods before they downgraded there tour edition to a cheaper blank. I've got both the old and newer Tour edition rods, they don't seem that bad.

I have to say I'm much more impressed with St Croix rods than Fenwick. I've only had 1 issue with St Croix and it was dealt with quickly and for $20...it was a client rod and was subjected to just about anything one could imagine. In my opinion, they are a premiere rod maker and offer excellent customer service.

I do have one 15yr old HMX which has been a go to for countless portage trips for trout that has stood up well. Also a Techna AV muskie rod that has been great. Besides these, I've blown up 5 or 6 other Fenwicks in the last 5 yrs....made the switch to St Croix and have broke none.

In the end the brand doesn't mean as much as its feel to you. The brand usually means reliability and warranty.