Lowrance Elite 5

Rizzo

Just got my first GPS/Sonar combo and I'm playing with it in the garage trying to figure it out. Even the chip threw me for a loop...the thing is far too big for the port, then I notice a smaller chip can be taken out of the bigger one. It fits. What is the purpose of the bigger chip that holds the tiny chip that fits? After a phonecall to Scugog I begin to get this thing figured out. Man there are a ton of different regions on this thing. I thought it was just supposed to come with Trent Severn? Its got all kinds of other spots, including Elephant, Jack, Kashagawigamog, Chandos etc. Wonder if I was given the wrong chip? Also, when I went fishing with Scugog last week his unit (HDS 7) was showing us 1 foot contours. Looking at my unit its like 10 foot contours! I assume it gets better than this (if I read my manual) or is that what you get for a lower priced unit?

I'm not very familiar with the elite but I would think the navionics chip would show at least five foot contours. My hot maps chip has one foot contours but that is their hd mapping.

Rizzo what is the model of map chip?

Maybe were just missing a setting to get you better detail.

Check the options maybe there is a way to get more detail.

small chip is probably micro SD and the bigger one allows it to go into a computer

...that's what I had guessed. Small hidden one is for the unit, bigger one fits into computer. Now I just wonder if I have to have the small one inside the big one when I plug it into computer. I hate technology...but as soon as it gets me on more fish I'll get over it

I have this unit. I like it.

Some maps are detailed - some not. The list is on Navionics site.

Once you zoom in you will get the detail you want on the Kawarthas. Kashagawigamog is a not a detailed map btw.

I bought an ice transducer, additional mounting bracket, battery and $9 Rona tool box and made my own ice fishing unit so i can use mine in the winter too. Marks teeny jigs and fish in real-time and has gps too.

Landry

It is a micro sd chip. i can put the mico in the bigger SD card holder and then use it in my older Lowrance LMS unit if I needed to.

so got it all hooked up on the boat tonight. Played around a bit more and found that Kawarthas actually show much more detail when looking at the "L Ontario" setting rather than the "Southern Ontario" setting. Still definitely nowhere near the detail as Scugog's HDS 7 though with the one foot contours!

I heard putting a navionics chip inside a computer renders it unusable, I'm not 100% but read up on this first!

It doesn't render it unusable. I just got the same unit and I have already downloaded the Navionics program & updated my micro-SD CARD. I'm still fine-tuning it myself and haven't really noticed the depth detail. It is pretty easy to set up if you download the manuals for it, although the manual covers a number of models.

Does anyone else have this chip that comes with the Elite 5? Try and zoom in on a kawartha lake and see what the detail is like.

I believe the 1ft contours is specific to certain version of the hotmaps series, not this all-in-one chip.

The chips should all be the same whether you have the Elite model or the HDS one. Maybe you have an older version of the chip & it needs to be upgraded throught the Navionics site.

The chips should all be the same whether you have the Elite model or the HDS one. Maybe you have an older version of the chip & it needs to be upgraded throught the Navionics site.

Mine works fine, looks like Rizzo figured it out above.

Rizzo, you would have to purchase the hotmaps chip to get the 1ft contours of the lakes you are after.

thanks Scugog. The chip I was given has a blue navionics sticker and then white sticker over that that says Navionics Elite Bundle MSD/NEB - 2. It has far more lakes than I was expecting (but maybe a little less detail than I was expecting after seeing Scugog's hds 7), I thought this thing only came with Trent Severn but I've got all kinds of lakes.

Just got my first GPS/Sonar combo and I'm playing with it in the garage trying to figure it out. Even the chip threw me for a loop...the thing is far too big for the port, then I notice a smaller chip can be taken out of the bigger one. It fits. What is the purpose of the bigger chip that holds the tiny chip that fits? After a phonecall to Scugog I begin to get this thing figured out. Man there are a ton of different regions on this thing. I thought it was just supposed to come with Trent Severn? Its got all kinds of other spots, including Elephant, Jack, Kashagawigamog, Chandos etc. Wonder if I was given the wrong chip? Also, when I went fishing with Scugog last week his unit (HDS 7) was showing us 1 foot contours. Looking at my unit its like 10 foot contours! I assume it gets better than this (if I read my manual) or is that what you get for a lower priced unit?

I run an Elite-5 DSI and I get 1-foot contours on mine. However, I have to zoom in to see them. The further out you are zoomed, the bigger the contour delineations get. As you zoom in, the contours get added. If they tried to draw 1-foot contours when you're zoomed way out, it would be a congested mess on your screen and you wouldn't be able to see anything else.

I have the same unit Rizzo - and am going to try what you just said about using the L. Ontario setting vs the Southern Ontario setting. I have the same results as you regarding the contours... zooming in does not help. A bit dissapointing after seeing the 1 foot contours on a HDS 5 in one friends boat, and on a Humminbird 597 in anothers... but is this the chip or the unit... good post! Hope there is an answer (if not, I will be changing chips)

Edited by Fisherpete

Perfect...finally someone who knows what I'm going through. Because its my first gps, I'm trying to figure out if its "user" error (ie is there a way to fine tune the unit that I'm missing). Sounds like I do have it hooked up right and its a "you get what you pay for" scenario. Don't get me wrong, playing with it in my garage I love it, just don't know if it should be more detailed than what I'm getting out of it. Pete, try out the L Ontario setting and let me know if that made things better for you

It doesn't render it unusable. I just got the same unit and I have already downloaded the Navionics program & updated my micro-SD CARD. I'm still fine-tuning it myself and haven't really noticed the depth detail. It is pretty easy to set up if you download the manuals for it, although the manual covers a number of models.

Ah, thanks. I was misinformed -- I just read their FAQ and it only gets corrupted if you try to copy it.