Stanley Cup Bound ?

Jds63

I know , I know .... the Leafs nation is now full of optimism , but it still feels good to get a shutout against the Habs

could Optimus Reim be the real deal ??? ,,,, all we have is hope

Reim is the real deal. I am a HUGE Leafs fan but my oppinion is not based on the usual Bull that goes with the start of every season. Reim's background speaks volumes on his play. I have never seen such an elite athlete so grounded. He was the best goalie in last years ttraining camp, proved his worth with last years second half performance, 20 - 8 - 2. and is picking up where he left off. The difference this year he has a more cohesive defence in front of him.

(Pic was taken from Brian Burkes private box. Thank you A.M.640 for the thrill of a lifetime)

leafs.jpg

i was pulling my hair out during the first thinking here we go again but they really turned it around in the 2nd and 3rd despite being outshot 30-18 reimer stole this one(although we didnt play too bad at all), but hey im sure any leaf fan will take it. Unlike other years i have a renewed optimism about this season not thinking their gonna win the cup, hoping for a playoff berth finally though, that would sure be nice. GO LEAFS GO!

Reimer sure looked good. Lombardi and especially Steckel were big surprises as well.

Say what you want about Burke, but right now Franson and a healthy Lombardi for Lebda and a minor league forward is just ridiculously one sided.

Not getting overly excited though, weren't they 4-1 or something like that to start last year? LOL!

It wasn't that montreal play awful. The leafs just played that much better periods 2 and 3. They all skated, back checked, blocked shots, moved the puck well, and defensive zone coverage was excellant. Lots of hitting too! Komisarek played his best game as a leaf last nite. Should have been one of the 3 stars.

I refuse to comment on any Leafs threads until Christmas :P

Okay, one comment :) Really like Reimer, great kid with a ton of pressure on him...hope he succeeds.

really like Reimer as well, ... lets hope he doesn't fall to the Leafs starting goaltender wasteland ....

I don't agree with Don cherry calling out those 3 fighters as "pukes" ,, thats ignorant

I know its early but "Its the most wonderful time of year", :thumbsup_anim:

Don't worry about it Gord. It's the same thing every year. Kinda like teaching grade school..every September, a new batch of kids show up and you have 6-7 years to teach them that there are no miracles. BTW, it was an early spring which explains why it's started 2 weeks earlier than usual. Let's hope it's an early FALL. <---- pun :)

Reim is the real deal. The difference this year he has a more cohesive defence in front of him.

? They were outshot 32 to 18. To me that means the defence isn't that great. And it's been a pattern for quite a few years. Even in games they have won with big scores they have still been outshot, meaning that their goalie is nothing but a puck target. They had better hope that if Reimer goes down with an injury any back-up is just as good. I know that in hockey as in any other sport the most important statistic is the final score of the game, but shots on goal tells you a lot about how your defence is, and 32-18 doesn't look good to me. It's only one game, but I'm not holding my breath.

? They were outshot 32 to 18. To me that means the defence isn't that great. And it's been a pattern for quite a few years. Even in games they have won with big scores they have still been outshot, meaning that their goalie is nothing but a puck target. They had better hope that if Reimer goes down with an injury any back-up is just as good. I know that in hockey as in any other sport the most important statistic is the final score of the game, but shots on goal tells you a lot about how your defence is, and 32-18 doesn't look good to me. It's only one game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Actually, the past couple seasons they have outshot their opponent in most of the games.

And shots against don't necessarily mean bad defense. Most of those 32 shots, were poor quality shots. Its scoring chances, not shots that are a more telling stat.

Actually, the past couple seasons they have outshot their opponent in most of the games.

And shots against don't necessarily mean bad defense. Most of those 32 shots, were poor quality shots. Its scoring chances, not shots that are a more telling stat.

Indeed. Frustrated teams take many shots from low percentage areas because the shot are easy to take. Shot selection is key. Wilson was quoted many times over the last few years saying "I think we made the other goalie look good tonight".

Edited by Grimace