question on changing motor oil

mercman

The idea is to drain as much old dirty oil out before refilling and installing a new filter. Why on earth would you run the motor first and sling the old dirty stuff back onto motor parts and fill the filter? The motor should sit for at least an hour if it's been run.. so the filter will drain out and save a lot of mess when removing it. It's gonna be 23+C tomorrow... no need to warm it up.

It says if you don't know where the drain plug is .............its best to take it to a dealer for any maintenance required whistling.gifwhistling.gifsarcasm.gif

rofl2.gif might just do that, rather than end up basted in oil.I have to find the manual, then it should be fine.

But thanks for the inputw00t.gif

Trim your motor up just a bit---have a drip pan

Pull that plug---a stream of dirty oil will spurt a good distance---pull pan towards motor as stream gets shorter---kinda like you know :whistling:

That small trim up allows the plug to face down a bit more--when you pull motor over---if you don't---oil will just run down the foot of your motor.

Paul, just wait 'til it's warmer out. Get yourself a wide container to catch the old oil..put some paper towel under the oil filter...get a good sized funnel with a goose neck hose..tilt the motor to maximum 'gravity' and steer it hard to port for the oil to escape...undo the oil drain plug..let all of the old oil drain from the motor...undo the oil filter and discard...install new filter just a touch more than hand tight...refill with recommended oil...clean everything up and check for leaks...check oil level. If you need any of the items ie. tub, funnel, filter wrench..just pop by and pick it up.

Yes it is but ummm wear a raincoat. :D

Why did you have to go and take ALL the FUN out of it Roy.

I was going to tell him to run a live feed on the board with his web cam so we could direct him.

After we were finished laughing at him doing his funky chicken dance covered in oil.

Now my suggestion is:

Paul, since Roy has all the right equipment and experience, just take the boat over to his place and have him show you the proper way.

While your on route to his place, stop and get the oil,filter,gear lube and a new set of plugs.

Keep the old plugs on the boat just in-case you ever need them.

Remember to KEEP all receipts for warranty!

( But dont keep them with your owners manual!!!!!) :whistling:

You've got a 4 stroke, I don't think you'll be needing to be changing the plugs on it after 1 season. I'd check the manual though. Are you going to fog?? Make sure you get the right gear lube for your motor and correct grade of motor oil. You should run the motor for a few minutes to get any junk that has accumulated on the bottom of the oil pan to suspend in the oil so when you drain it, it comes out. It's a new motor so I don't think sludge is much of a concern but that is the way we were taught in Auto Shop back in the '80s and it still holds true for changing oil in motors today. Have plenty of sawdust handy and Good Luck!!!

do 2 strk have these oil filters too??? Of late I have only been draining the old and refilling with new. And there is this talk about oil flying everywhere. Mine just sloooooooooooowly oozes out.

Edited by darsky

my 20 4-stroke has a nut halfway down on the drivers side

you leave it vertical drain all the oil, then tilt it up and continue draining

im pretty sure anyways

its laid out in the manual

Thanks K_F, thats the problem, i kinda misplaced the maual.wallbash.gif

I'm sure it will turnip before i put the boat away for the winter.

Having the twin of that motor, yes the oil does tend to make a bit of a mess. Tiling it is what i have found works, about halfway up. And yes, it is the large bolt halfway down on the left side (standing behind the motor looking at it). Stop at the Merc dealer and get the socket for the oil filter, made by Merc. The filter is extremely difficult to get off if not using the socket. In your manual (if you had it) it would tell you to run 20w40 oil as the regular oil in the motor. If you need more info, or a scan of the pertinent parts of the manual, pm me and I will scan it for you when I am at home.

Trevor

Gentlemen (and I use that term very loosely here)

Paul couldn't wait and really didn't take all the advice everyone has tried to give him. But he's a good fellow with good intentions. HOWEVER, I have obtained this picture of him just after he tried to change his oil.... :whistling:

Kramer.jpg