Easter Monday Steel!!

ccmtcanada

Bly and I decided to head out to an eastern trib this morning. The temps were just below 0C, but luckily, we didn't have to contend with slush or our lines and rod tips freezing. The sun came up and it was quite comfortable out there. The water was clear, but had a nice green tinge to it.

Ok...lots of action today...really got the adrenaline going!! We had never been to this part of this trib...so we were kind of exploring a little. Found this nice little hole...allowed for longer drifts than we were used to and very few snags. At about 9:15, I had a hit drifting around some rocks...FISH ON! This was a huge male (at least huge for my standards...at least a 10 pounder I estimate) and he was VERY scrappy. He stripped tons of line from my spool and ran in all directions. After about 5 minutes, with Bly at the ready with the net, he broke free. I was so close to getting him....I was pumped!

About an hour later, in the same spot my float goes under again! This was a nice sized female. She took my line and just like the male, my drag got a big workout. These fish were very aggressive. We figure that because the pool was nice and long, that they can really get some distance between you and the fish. Anyhow, this one wrapped itself around a rock...CRAP!!! I waded out into the water and freed my line from the rock, only to have it wrap around another rock!! I managed to clear that one too, then she made a beeline to the rapids going down stream. I finally lost her when my line got tangled in a low overhanging tree branch.

We drifted a short while and then headed to a fast food place for food. We got back from our lunch and decided to drift in a new location. Shortly after we got there, bly hooked into a nice fish! Fish on!!! The problem was we had separated a bit and when she she got my attention, I grabbed the net and began running to help her out. Unfortunately, her line was wrapped around the handle of her rod and the spool and she lost the fish.

After cursing her bad luck, she took a little breather and then put her line back in the water. About 20 minutes later I hear "Fish on!!" I began my run yet again and she fought the fish for 5 minutes, giving me plenty of time to get there. She landed this beauty drop back hen...measuring at 27". (If anyone is keeping score...this is 1/4" longer than my PB...LOL). Team 9 has a new entry!!

med_gallery_60_23_40878.jpg

We were getting near to the end of our day...we had already decided we'd leave in a few minutes. She packed her gear up and I asked her to head to an area I wanted to drift to see if she could see any steelies there. The waters were very clear, so when she looked down, she said there was a nice sized one there. Another 5 drifts and FISH ON!! This one was a male in full spawning colours. This was a small fight compared to the ones this morning that I lost. She helped out greatly by netting this guy...the first male in spawning colours I've landed.

gallery_60_23_114760.jpg

The last pic...my same fish...both of us smiling for the camera before releasing him.

med_gallery_60_23_31359.jpg

The fish we fought were hooked on roe (peach bags) and white flies and jigs. So I went 1 for 3 and bly went 1 for 2. Not huge numbers in the landed department, but we had our best day on the tribs.

Oh yeah...Mike The Pike....just so you know, she caught THIS fish on her own rod and reel....no luck invovled. :P:thumbsup_anim::D

PS. This isn't a secret hole by any means. It's off the beaten path, so if anyone can recognize this location, they already know it intimately and also know that fish hang out there from time to time. If someone really wants me to take the pics down, then PM me....thanks.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Way to go.....some advice Cliff....stop trying to outfish Bly....all women have the special touch. No matter how many fish you catch she will always catch the biggest....that's just the way it is.....and my fiancee never lets me forget it. No matter where we go she always catches the biggest......go figure.

Jason

Congrats... :clapping: .great report and awsome looking fish...way to go to you both,you guys make an amazing team.. :w00t: ...thanks for sharing...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thanks Shawn...we do pride ourselves in our teamwork...we've been pretty successful when we work together.

Very nice guys. Bly just keeps raising the bar on you Cliff, always one up. :D

There's something about girls fishing, every time I take my sisters out they get the biggest fish, some sort of phenomenon.

Way to go.....some advice Cliff....stop trying to outfish Bly....all women have the special touch. No matter how many fish you catch she will always catch the biggest....that's just the way it is.....and my fiancee never lets me forget it. No matter where we go she always catches the biggest......go figure.

Jason

Gbay and Basskicker...you are right about that...bly has the biggest Walleye and Steelhead...LOL. Even my 5 year old catches more pan fish when we take her out....haha.

Congrats Bly and Ccmt ,

Glad to see you have broken in your new rod wait until the reel gets there.

Please save some fish for me. I think I 'm going to have to come back sooner than I planed.

Take care guys.

Any time! Get up here soon so we can hit the tribs again...I have you to thank for starting my steelhead adventures!!

WTG ALL!!!

THE BUG HAS CAUGHT IN YA WELL!!!

SOON YOU'LL BE TEACHIN ME LOL

Not likely Scott...LOL. We've been steelie fishing for what...4 months now?? haha. Your title of Steel Master is safe for a LONG time I think.

you seem to have it down to a science now..first big walleye now these guys..whats next...look out shoreline muskie fishing.......film at eleven

LOL Terry...we stumbled on those Walleye by luck...we just refined how we fished for them...muskie from shore??? Hmmm...sounds like a challenge to me!! Better make the film at midnight...gonna take a bit longer to get those big boys!

Nice fish guys! Great report as usual. Thanks for that. Not quite as good as being there, but I still enjoyed it. You guys will be getting your own show next LOL.

No one wants to see my ugly mug on TV....haha.

Fighting steelies is awesome and I can see how addicting that kind of fishing can become!! Thanks everyone for your comments!

Green with envy. Great job you two!

You have been on fire! May I suggest that you start wearing metal helmets on the river ... to become one of them ... the steelheads. It seems you have been hanging out with them on a regular basis. I wish I had a good relation with the fish. They never want to be in the same picture with me. All I get is nose in the air, flippers crossed, and a head shake ... and they take off. Very rude. No means no I guess. <sigh>

Green with envy. Great job you two!

You have been on fire! May I suggest that you start wearing metal helmets on the river ... to become one of them ... the steelheads. It seems you have been hanging out with them on a regular basis. I wish I had a good relation with the fish. They never want to be in the same picture with me. All I get is nose in the air, flippers crossed, and a head shake ... and they take off. Very rude. No means no I guess. <sigh>

LOL...love the part about fish not wanting to be in the same pic as you. Let me see if I can put it into perspective....I started trib fishing for steelies in late December. I've been out probably 20 times since then and only managed to bring in a total of about 8 fish total. Guys like CANADIAN COPPER do that in one day....LOL.

I've had a few surface, look right at me and then slowly swim away too...talk about maddening!!!