2005 honda 4 stroke 50 HP

Rob

I am looking at getting a boat with little hours on it and it has this Honda on it. I am pretty sure it is carbeurated engine, and seems to be in good shape. I am going on Tuesday to take it for a test run, do a compression test on it, check the lower unit for water and will do a speed and rpm check with my gps. Anything else that I might want to look for in this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob c

We've got a 40hp 4stroke Honda tiller (BF40) that's been the best motor we've ever owned. Other then fogging it each winter and changing the bottom end oil, that's all it's ever required. Never left us stranded, always has started. I'm kinda sad we are actually selling it, lol!

We've got a 40hp 4stroke Honda tiller (BF40) that's been the best motor we've ever owned. Other then fogging it each winter and changing the bottom end oil, that's all it's ever required. Never left us stranded, always has started. I'm kinda sad we are actually selling it, lol!

Do you change the engine oil???

1996 25 Honda, somewhere around 1500 hours on it, once a year oil change and lower gear oil, fuel filter, 3rd set of plugs in 15 years. Doesn't burn oil, sips gas, runs quiet. I'm happy. I'll just wear a steel cup when the Etec nut tries to kick me in the goolies with JC waterwalkers.

When you test drive it... Run it at high rpm/speed for a long time... Get it hot... This will help with backyard quick fixes...

Also I own a 2000 honda 40hp tiller...

Amazing motors... We have had a couple 50hp tillers growing up...

Only issue we ever really had was with the starters...

But we "over use" our boats...lol

And that's only a couple hundred

bucks...

Good luck with your purchase... Hope it goes well...

Can't go wrong with a Honda I tell ya.I had a 2000 Honda 50hp never put a dime on it.Like desship says you do have to let it warm up a long time

on a cold day.Another thing I could say about the Honda it is very fuel efficient.I have a Yamaha 60hp these days on my new boat which I also enjoy

but it consumes a lot more fuel than my Honda did.I also have a Honda 2hp on my boat which is my kicker it always runs very well.Also owned a 1980

7.5hp sold it when it was 26 yrs old and it was always trouble free.Honda the largest manufacturer of motors in the World.

GO FOR IT......MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

I am looking at getting a boat with little hours on it and it has this Honda on it. I am pretty sure it is carbeurated engine, and seems to be in good shape. I am going on Tuesday to take it for a test run, do a compression test on it, check the lower unit for water and will do a speed and rpm check with my gps. Anything else that I might want to look for in this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob c

I have a 40BF tiller on a 15ft Misty River, Best boat and motor I've ever owned Have had both since 2004 and bought new. Not a bit of problem all these years but then again probably only about 150hrs use on them. The motor sips gas to say the least and quiet. Had the motor shipped in from the west coast when I bought it as tillers that size were hard to come by around here. The east & west coast fishermen swear by the 40 & 50 Honda's So if thier good out there they must be good. But like anything if it's used you have to do your homework.

My son is moving to Newfoundland next year so I might just take it out there and leave it with him.

Theo

I have a 50 Honda tiller and it's great on fuel. Like mentioned above, you have to let it warm up a bit more than a 2 stroke, not a problem. I bought mine the year before they brought out the longer handle with the shifter. I was a pain in the arm because trolling all day with your arm back. So I made a homemade extension that works great. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd look at the 50HP Merc 4 stroke, it's allot quieter than my Honda. I have 2 buds that have them and I can't believe the difference. I change my oil regular, every 2nd change I change the filter. It says change the oil every 50 hours, I talked the the dealer and said I'd be changing every week :whistling: and he said I know Dave, but you aren't normal :tease: . Normal people may only put 50 hours a year. He said change it a couple times a year and your good. I use 20W30 Quaker state nothing special. But I tell you, it's a messy job, make sure you put down some card board on your driveway under your oil catcher. Plus pull your prop a few times a year to check for line.

That's a great tip Dave and probably something alot of guys don't know about.

Thanks Lew

Yes, I had my eye's opened this year when I saw what happened to my Buddy's Honda 50HP lower seal. I'm going to make a post on here with a picture of his seal one day. The dealer couldn't believe his eyes when he pulled his bottom end with no oil left. There was so much line in there that it went right through the seal and into the gear casing to the gears. He was lucky he shut the motor off when he herd a funny noise. :worthy: Got away with just a seal job. :worthy:

Your friend was definetely lucky Dave, that coulda been a very $$$$ repair and is the exact reason to check the prop shaft every now and then.

I also pull the prop on my bow mount every once in awhile and check it too as I've had line wrapped around that shaft as well.

Thanks,

Rob c

WOW....maybe I should advertise my boat for sale and get someone like you to have it thoroughly checked over like this...then it would be ready for winter.. :clapping:

But GOOD LUCK on your boat purchase,

Bob

Well all went well on the test run got the boat up to 35mph at 5500 rpm's, checked the gear oil all is good. Couldn't check the compression as the sockets I brought were not the right size :glare:, checked everything else on the motor and it looks good and clean. Idled like bees in a behive! man I can't believe how quiet those Honda's are! I got the boat motor and trailer for 8k, pretty good deal considering the shape the boat is in, at least I think it is a good deal. Here is a couple of shots of the boat.

Boat Pics

Let me know what you guys think and I want you to be honest!

Rob C

Well all went well on the test run got the boat up to 35mph at 5500 rpm's, checked the gear oil all is good. Couldn't check the compression as the sockets I brought were not the right size :glare:, checked everything else on the motor and it looks good and clean. Idled like bees in a behive! man I can't believe how quiet those Honda's are! I got the boat motor and trailer for 8k, pretty good deal considering the shape the boat is in, at least I think it is a good deal. Here is a couple of shots of the boat

Boat Pics

Let me know what you guys think and I want you to be honest!

Rob C

Regular spark plug sockets don't fit... You need to get a regular style long socket... I'll try to remember to check the size for you...

Pm me to remind me if I forget