Where to find some half-inch plastic?

Dutch

Some people use plastic cutting-board type material on their hulls to install transducers so they don't have to drill/screw trough their hull.

I'm looking for some of this material, but just a larger size, maybe a foot square. It needs to support a bit of weight, maybe 10 pounds in a hortizontal fasion, so it needs to be able to hold screws reasonably well.

I was thinking of just maybe buying 2 cutting boards and using PL premium or silicone to laminate them together, but thought there must be some type of material available for this purpose.

Anyone seen something - trying to stay 100% away from wood-based product.

UHMW - ultra high molecular weight plastic. - short version cutting board. sold at lee valley and other wise hard to find. PA plastics in hamilton has it but not so local for you.

home depot sells clear plexiglass - might not come think enough. steel city surplus in hamilton sells blocks and sheets i use it for woodworking setup blocks. sometimes princess auto has it.

if you can't find it locally maybe i can help you out from here...check any plastics sales or forming outlet in your area.

good luck

Some people use plastic cutting-board type material on their hulls to install transducers so they don't have to drill/screw trough their hull.

I'm looking for some of this material, but just a larger size, maybe a foot square. It needs to support a bit of weight, maybe 10 pounds in a hortizontal fasion, so it needs to be able to hold screws reasonably well.

I was thinking of just maybe buying 2 cutting boards and using PL premium or silicone to laminate them together, but thought there must be some type of material available for this purpose.

I will see if there are any left overs at work, its about 1/2 to 3/4 inchs thick and a foot wide. Its a white plastic used as a scuff liner in commercial trailers. And very strong.

You can also go to any commercial fleet that has a shop, go in and ask if they have a small piece of scuff liner. It comes in black or white.

pm me if you like

I will see if there are any left overs at work, its about 1/2 to 3/4 inchs thick and a foot wide. Its a white plastic used as a scuff liner in commercial trailers. And very strong.

You can also go to any commercial fleet that has a shop, go in and ask if they have a small piece of scuff liner. It comes in black or white.

pm me if you like

pm me if you like

Have the same thing here Vin. We use it on the table tops for the dies.

Drop a PM to SRT8, he sent me a piece of black blastic about 1/2`` thick from his work.It is great stuff. Easy to cut and sands without melting.

The marine product with built in UV inhibitors is called Starboard. You can order it from Pride Marine in Kingston among other places. Their web site shows building tips. Glue for this is called Mr. Sticky's Poly Binder. I have glued a piece to the aluminum transom of my boat. There is a special burnishing technique with a torch prior to applying glue. It is outlined on the Mr. Sticky's web site. Basically you are freeing electrons, allowing the glue to work.

Maybe you want to say exactly what you are going to use this for.

Yep Starboard is the stuff. A cutting board will suffer UV breakdown. I don't know how long either will last with 10lbs of ????? on it.

For Starboard you can call the manufacturer and they will help you make the decision.

You can forget about silicone or glue for the cutting boards. Cutting boards are made from polyethylene and it does not lend itself to binders very well if at all. Use mechanical methods for putting 2 boards together if you go this route.

I think a metal or aluminum plate that has enough clearance behind it to bolt on/off items is a good play, make it detachable. So what is the 10lbs?

sm

Drop a PM to SRT8, he sent me a piece of black blastic about 1/2`` thick from his work.It is great stuff. Easy to cut and sands without melting.

Yeah it is starboard that I sent Merc but unfortunately we are back to full bore and the scrap peices are hard to come by when nobody is doing make work projects.

Parker Plastics on Clarke road in London

Hey guys.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Going to follow-up with some PM's.

The application is for an under-deck mounting of a new 3-bank on-board charger I am getting. The current charger is mounted directly to the glass in the back of the boat. I could do that, but I am adverse to drilling screws in, also, if I decide to change in the future, I thought I would plan ahead. I was going to epoxy the board in place, then screw into the plastic to hold the charger.

Colour doesn't matter nor does UV as it will be below the deck in the compartment at the back of the boat.

Hey guys.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Going to follow-up with some PM's.

The application is for an under-deck mounting of a new 3-bank on-board charger I am getting. The current charger is mounted directly to the glass in the back of the boat. I could do that, but I am adverse to drilling screws in, also, if I decide to change in the future, I thought I would plan ahead. I was going to epoxy the board in place, then screw into the plastic to hold the charger.

Colour doesn't matter nor does UV as it will be below the deck in the compartment at the back of the boat.

OK....if that is what you are doing then perhaps:

I believe starboard is bolted onto its surface due to the adhesive issue. The stuff is super expensive and there is little benefit to using it for this application.

Get 2 lengths of 3 sided aluminum angle. Epoxy and silicone will work on the aluminum. With the 2 pieces make the slot ends for the plastic board to go in. The board/self will slide in between the 2 aluminum pieces. I think you can figure out how to best mechanically fix the plastic to the aluminum.

Personally I would use plywood instead of the plastic to put in the slot because it is easier to work with.

Big box home repair place will sell all you need and the aluminum brackets come in various thicknesses.

wbg