French River Virgin.

moxie

I've heard about it, read about it and have seen it in photographs and on an invite from a friend I am finally going to experience it. We plan to leave a week today for a few days and will be staying at Bears Den Lodge which is on the Georgian Bay side of the French. Knowing that there is a wealth of experience on this board I was wondering if any of you had anything to share concerning this expansive stretch of water whether it be stories, pictures, tips or tricks or general advice. I can hardly wait to go and hope to have something to share when I get back.

Moxie.

I second the watch for rocks in the area. My father in law is up on the main channel right now and is seeing a fair number of larger fish of all species. This year water levels were a little lower and warmer which made for some tougher fishing on the main channel. I am headed for the upper channel this morning and will let you know how I make out.

My favourite part of the French, you'll love it!

Ask the guys at the lodge if they'll take you down the western channel, through the rapids to what they call the Bad River.

You can do it yourself if you know where and what you're doing.

As a first timer it's a bit risky, but it'd be a shame if you were right there and didn't get to experience it.

GREAT fishing and scenery down there.

My favourite part of the French as well. If your at Bears Den, read the French River history book they have kicking around. Great read, talks alot about Etienne Brûlée and the history of the river.

Watch for Rocks!!! There are Smallmouth Bass everywhere. Search for the walleye deep. If you have the right gear there are some monstrous muskies in there. I saw one sunning itself that was in the 50 pound class, the bloody thing must have been on the high 50's in inches. We drifted right over top of him fishing a point.

Lots of morning mist this time of year, you might find yourself having a nice big breakfast and waiting the fog out (that is how I came across the book).

Edit: iPhone auto correct strikes again.

Edited by Grimace

Talk to the guys at the Marina...they usually know the skinny on where the fat ones are being caught. This is my favorite time of year for open water at Hartley Bay. Before I started drop-shotting, we usually just jigged with leadheads and twistertails, tipped with a minnow or worm for walleye and usually did pretty well. If you're bored and have the time, throw a 4-6 inch minnow of the dock and sit back. There's a good chance something will take it.

If the importance hasn't gotten through to you yet...watch out for rocks.

I want bother telling you to have fun. I don't need to.

The responses are greatly appreciated and as I stated in my post I hope to have something to share upon my return. Anyone ever notice how time slowswhistling.gif when anticipation is added to the mix? Damn!!wallbash.gif

Thanks again,

Moxie.

I used to go to Bear's Den regularly back in the early 1990's. Fishing seemed to be dropping off in that area (could have just be us too), so we quit going. Went back again about 10 years ago, but BDL had adopted a no-pet policy, so we went elsewhere. But, we would love to go back there.

Art and Brenda Barefoot are great hosts and make sure you eat at the lodge at least once. Great meals and a great view over the water. Very nice lodge w/ large-screen TV, pool table, etc. Assuming they still have these. BDL sites back in a little bay - nice, quiet, and somewhat secluded. Head down river from Hartley Bay and BDL will be on your left. Just a short ride - can't miss it.

If you are bringing your own boat, the folks at Hartley Marina launch the boat for you. So, you may want to get your gear in the boat before launching or carry it down the hill. If you are renting from BDL, the office there at the marina will call them - and they'll come pick you up.

The main channel from Hartley Bay down past BDL to Wahanapitae Bay is clear of obstacles as I recall - just don't venture too close to the shore lines - as this should be good advise for anywhere on the French.

I just returned from the North Channel of the French today and the water levels there are about 2 feet lower than normal - so I would also advise EXTRA caution in unfamiliar waters. Maybe the folks at BDL can advise of specific areas to watch out for.

As you enter into Wahanapitae Bay, you'll notice a few parallel islands. Fish around these islands as there used to be some nice weed beds among them. The last time I was there, I landed my PB pike at 37 1/2 inches around there. A couple days later, my step-son landed a 37. Never did get a musky there, but we were not specifically targeting them. But, there are some big girls around.

Rather than turning left into Wahanapitae, you can turn right and head back to a couple bays that hold some nice fish. But, I have to warn you that this area is extremely rocky - even when we have normal water levels. So, extreme caution here too.

We also went through the "S" curves down to the French River Lodge. Somewhere, out in Wahanapitae, near where you would turn left to the "S" curves, there is a nasty shoal there that I hit my last trip there. Was even out from the shoreline and still hit it. Fortunately I was going slow at the time, so no damage done.

Best of luck to you and be sure to post some pics when you get back. Would love to see the area again ... and a few big fish. :thumbsup_anim:

I used to go to Bear's Den regularly back in the early 1990's. Fishing seemed to be dropping off in that area (could have just be us too), so we quit going. Went back again about 10 years ago, but BDL had adopted a no-pet policy, so we went elsewhere. But, we would love to go back there.

Art and Brenda Barefoot are great hosts and make sure you eat at the lodge at least once. Great meals and a great view over the water. Very nice lodge w/ large-screen TV, pool table, etc. Assuming they still have these. BDL sites back in a little bay - nice, quiet, and somewhat secluded. Head down river from Hartley Bay and BDL will be on your left. Just a short ride - can't miss it.

If you are bringing your own boat, the folks at Hartley Marina launch the boat for you. So, you may want to get your gear in the boat before launching or carry it down the hill. If you are renting from BDL, the office there at the marina will call them - and they'll come pick you up.

The main channel from Hartley Bay down past BDL to Wahanapitae Bay is clear of obstacles as I recall - just don't venture too close to the shore lines - as this should be good advise for anywhere on the French.

I just returned from the North Channel of the French today and the water levels there are about 2 feet lower than normal - so I would also advise EXTRA caution in unfamiliar waters. Maybe the folks at BDL can advise of specific areas to watch out for.

As you enter into Wahanapitae Bay, you'll notice a few parallel islands. Fish around these islands as there used to be some nice weed beds among them. The last time I was there, I landed my PB pike at 37 1/2 inches around there. A couple days later, my step-son landed a 37. Never did get a musky there, but we were not specifically targeting them. But, there are some big girls around.

Rather than turning left into Wahanapitae, you can turn right and head back to a couple bays that hold some nice fish. But, I have to warn you that this area is extremely rocky - even when we have normal water levels. So, extreme caution here too.

We also went through the "S" curves down to the French River Lodge. Somewhere, out in Wahanapitae, near where you would turn left to the "S" curves, there is a nasty shoal there that I hit my last trip there. Was even out from the shoreline and still hit it. Fortunately I was going slow at the time, so no damage done.

Best of luck to you and be sure to post some pics when you get back. Would love to see the area again ... and a few big fish. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the tips Rich. Need a reason to go back so we plan on fishing our asses off to make it happen, and besides, theres way too much water to hit on just one trip so my better half has already been given fair warning. Thanks again.

Moxie.

I said BDL would be on you left heading down from Hartley Bay. I was wrong - it will be on your RIGHT. Sorry about that.

As you go down from BDL to Wahanapitae Bay, make the first left along the shore line. You'll go between the shore and a parallel running island. Don't get close to the island side, I seem to recall a rock around there. Just past this first island, look to your right. There should be a nice weed-bed over towards the shore and a couple other islands. May want to check out this area. (Hint).

I think you'll enjoy it there. You have a huge amount of water to fish, you'll only see a small portion of it. Looking forward to a report when you get back. Hope you have as much luck as we did. Gotta get my onw report up here soon.

Just got back from the Woselly bay area, all I can say is fishing is really tough this year. We had five guys fished hard for2 half days and one full day and had 5 fish to show for it. No pickerel and nothing of any size. I know the fish are there we just could not entice them. There were 6 guys down from the Ottawa area and they got there two days before us and had the same story. I think they were heading golfing today.

Just got back from the Woselly bay area, all I can say is fishing is really tough this year. We had five guys fished hard for2 half days and one full day and had 5 fish to show for it. No pickerel and nothing of any size. I know the fish are there we just could not entice them. There were 6 guys down from the Ottawa area and they got there two days before us and had the same story. I think they were heading golfing today.

I hear ya Taper. This year has been tough just about everywhere . I have a battle plan that might work. I figure I'll spend the first day throwing everything at them. If that fails to produce a pattern I plan on dragging a worm or minnow around for day two and three and take in all that natures bounty can afford to fill my eyes, ears and head with till the next time I can find the time to head out there again. Wish me luck. hehehe.

Moxie.

I hear ya Taper. This year has been tough just about everywhere . I have a battle plan that might work. I figure I'll spend the first day throwing everything at them. If that fails to produce a pattern I plan on dragging a worm or minnow around for day two and three and take in all that natures bounty can afford to fill my eyes, ears and head with till the next time I can find the time to head out there again. Wish me luck. hehehe.

Moxie.

I heard the same thing from the folks at Rainbow Camp - been a tough year all around. Even the number of pictures they put up in the lodge, there's nothing really big. Typically a half-dozen musky shots - but only one this year. Water levels have been down all summmer - about 2 feet.