MNR -Fish Online

cjgraham

Yeah, it's not completely accurate, but it's sure better than nothing at all.. If you look at the stocking data, and it says they put 3000 splake into a certain lake in 2010, then that's an example of good info that's likely reliable. But yeah, some species may have died off, and on the flip side, some species (seems to be smallmouth, mainly) that I can readily catch in lakes near me are missing from that lake's list in the tool. I hope they get around to adding rivers and access points, etc, as they say they have planned.

One thing that IS accurate: it doesn't list any aurora trout in Liberty Lake!

Edited by Dana

Yeah, it's not completely accurate, but it's sure better than nothing at all.. If you look at the stocking data, and it says they put 3000 splake into a certain lake in 2010, then that's an example of good info that's likely reliable. But yeah, some species may have died off, and on the flip side, some species (seems to be smallmouth, mainly) that I can readily catch in lakes near me are missing from that lake's list in the tool. I hope they get around to adding rivers and access points, etc, as they say they have planned.

One thing that IS accurate: it doesn't list any aurora trout in Liberty Lake!

Ha. They might as well list white whales and red herrings in Liberty Lake.

All SMB up north (not sure where it starts) are invasive, so its no wonder they don't list them in many lakes. They are incidental catches when fishing for walleye anyway.

Ha. They might as well list white whales and red herrings in Liberty Lake.

All SMB up north (not sure where it starts) are invasive, so its no wonder they don't list them in many lakes. They are incidental catches when fishing for walleye anyway.

yeah isn't that crazy. The MNR does not even manage for SMB. They were brought up here by guys working for CN rail. They would dump them in lakes along the rail line as an easy fish to catch. Also the rainbow trout are an introduced species in Ontario as well. Only natural trout species up here is the char familiy(brookies and lakers)

Edited by cjgraham

Yeah I guess they should be considered "introduced species" they are not rapidly taking over and altering our whole eco system. Plus I don't think all invasive species are a bad thing. introduced or invasive I sure am glad that there are rainbows and SMB's around here.

Hah! I wouldn't put too much reliance on that map! I checked 2 local ponds near where I live----Jacks lake doesn't list pike and walleye but they are definitely there. Glen Huron pond is listed as having rainbow whereas, in fact, rainbows are prevented from coming upstream by the dam that forms the pond. Also, the pond is quite shallow and would not support any resident rainbows.

• 8 years later...