buying water flooded boat?

idesign

guys can some1 tell me anything about buying flooded boat.how bad does it goes when it sinks.does it burn all wiring's.i am sure motor is fried once it sinks in water.there is some good deals on good boat.would be interested in buying flooded boat and putting on new motor if it works.can some1 pls give your thought on this topic.thx

If you can not do the majority of the work and have the place to do it at the amount of money can easily get away from you and cost more than the boat is worth. Their is a reason the insurance companies write off the boat and auction them off for a "loss".

Art

assuming it hasn't been on the bottom for a while....

nothing says the engine is fried, but you won't know if you can't run it

nothing says the wiring is burned, but you can test it all

i owned a 27' for years that had made 2 trips to the bottom, mechanically and electrically sound. (obviously not watertight though)however, there were a million little things that would show up without fail..

you can get lucky or you can get a huge headache. if you don't have the experience to test and evaluate the boat prior to purchase than you dont have the experience to fix those problems, so save yourself the headache.

if you know alot about engines and wiring than you could take a chance

if i had a boat worth fixing id fix it if it wasn't worth fixing id sell it....

if the boat was an easy fix....why would it be for sale???

My engine has been on the bottom of the river 5 times and it still runs great! I only sunk it twice but I knew the previous two owners and they sunk it as well. It's a 70 hp 1976 johnson and it has never left me stranded.

keep your hooks sharp!

P.S. I know how ridiculous I sound but its true and I have become quite good at bringing boats up when flooded and getting the engine running again.

Edited by monsterfish

Actually getting a boat motor from being submerged back and running is not hard you can sink one for a week and get it running by draining and re-lubricating it and running it up to temperature. The issues that pop up are for a motor that has been sunk and not drained,lubbed and run up to temperature as soon as it is exposed to air. Let the same motor sit for even a few days and you will have rust thru out the motor that will shorten its life or damage it to the point were a rebuild is needed or worse. I have sunk jetskis when I used to race them and between races drained them and refired them for the next heat with no ill effects. Most of the boats that sink that the owners do not want to refloat the motors have not been refired and no preventative measure done to try to stop the damage the water did.

Art

Remindes me of a 14' runabout I had with a 40hp evinrude.When I bought it I was told it was under the water at the dock for two weeks.The mechanic was able to get it on a trailer,get it running and all was well.You know I bought that boat for $700.00,drove it for 5 years,no problems,and even had a bidding war when I sold it for $1400.00.Fibre glass,went like hell.

If it was a inboard/outboard maybe not

Edited by davey buoy