A few from a recent trip

BillM

Finally got to take some shots with my new Canon 60D out in the middle of nowhere! Some of you might have seen a few of these on the main forum, but I'd love some feedback from some of the pros. The live action shots of the eagel grabbing the brookie are probably my fav.

6069126255_60d97476a1_b.jpg

Big male brook trout. by billmarz, on Flickr

6080422392_7294040739_b.jpg

Bald eagle gets lunch. by billmarz, on Flickr

6082222335_136f65f0d5_b.jpg

Dinner time! by billmarz, on Flickr

6083773025_48f7d3fdce_b.jpg

Black Bear. by billmarz, on Flickr

My feeble attempt at night photography.

6074447684_08977f7922_b.jpg

Night sky. by billmarz, on Flickr

Wow Johnny I really appreciate it man! Everytime I look at them, I always pick out the flaws :)

(Also if anyone is wondering, I gill hooked that brookie about 30mins before.. It was under 22inches so it had to go back. I tried to revive it for at least 30mins and it just wouldn't make it. I had my oldman drive the boat around with me hanging over the side trying to revive it... I still feel bad about it, lol)

Edited by BillM

Awesome shots Bill.

I'm no pro either but I noticed a couple of things, shadow on the fishes jaw and "clutter" in the background - I find it distracting but the colours on the fish quickly pull your eye away from it. Not always easily down, but try to take a couple of seconds and look at the picture to see what else is going on besides you main subject. BTW - I'd kill to catch a fish like that. :good:

To me the other wildlife shots are over exposed by a stop or 2. There is a loss of detail in the whites/bright areas. I tend to drop my shots by a stop or 2 when I take them. You can always brighten a shot later in Photoshop (Or other software) but if you don't have the detail to begin with you can't get it back.

Another tip I give to everyone is the rule of thirds.

Rule of thirds

Rule of thirds 2

Hope these tips help out and keep snapping! Thanks for sharing those shots. B)

I had the EV @ +2 for the bear shot, I didn't realized it until I got home :) The shadow on the jaw drives me insane, as does the really busy background with the eagle on the log pic.

I also have the entire action sequence of the eagle coming down and grabbing the fish but because I had the camera on AI Servo, in burst mode it never refocuses before each shot, so a few of them are blurry.

Ah well, live and learn I guess!!!

I had the EV @ +2 for the bear shot, I didn't realized it until I got home :) The shadow on the jaw drives me insane, as does the really busy background with the eagle on the log pic.

I also have the entire action sequence of the eagle coming down and grabbing the fish but because I had the camera on AI Servo, in burst mode it never refocuses before each shot, so a few of them are blurry.

Ah well, live and learn I guess!!!

Live and learn and just keep shooting. That certainly is the great thing with digital photography, snap a bunch and you'll get one or 2 that you are happy with. As for the eagle on the log shot, you can't always choose the back drop to your subject. Don't beat yourself up too bad, it is a good shot and very cool. Sometimes just a bit of cropping can help. Looking forward to more of your pics.