No more restless nights...

irishfield

So I've been mulling this over all winter and was trying not to drill holes in these beauty gunnels..

Barongunnel.jpg

I was going to use the slide on rigger mounts from Lund for the narrower gunnels and Temagami Marine was going to cut/widen them to fit the pro trac and sport trac rails on my new boat. I was then going to put short "rails" on them for quick change of rigger or rod holder, for what we were fishing for at the time. But then many said they weren't the most secure thing in the world and who wants to lose a down rigger or multi-hundred dollar Muskie setup in the lake? That got me studying and thinking about every boat gunnel picture I saw here and elsewhere.

I really liked the clean look of this one (Shaun Ricards)

Rodholderricardboatcrop.jpg

with Scotties for the smaller stuff and the Salties on the outside edge for Muskie..with a rigger mount in between and then realized that my trailering cover wouldn't fit then and if it did would get torn/worn on this kind of set up.

I kept coming back to this shot I kept of Jef

rodholderjefboat1.jpg

and how he uses his Salty as his net man and decided to just bit the bullet and go with tracks for about 4 feet at the rear of each gunnel. Enough to hold 2 riggers /side, a ball holder for each and rod holders OR a couple Muskie Rod holders with lots of room for handles between them and then a 2 or 3 foot rail further up to be my "net man" and for triple rod holders for when three guys are trolling BOQ with the planer mast for big 'eyes or St. Clair for Muskie.

Since I have a trailer full of aluminum and the machinery...I was going to make some stuff up myself, but just don't have the time since this still doesn't look like an airplane.

FUSELAGE3.jpg

I know a few guys here mfg them as well and do beautiful work.....and I truly apologise to all of you..but for ease and simplicity I

I went with the Traxtech/Pursuit system :spam: . Unsure of exact fitting on the boat so I also bought some extra track and inserts, so watch the classifieds in June for what I don't use. It will go up for sale or up for the next worthy auction.

Pics of some of what I bought..

Tracks

A_sm.gif

Inserts to make them smooth/steps when not in use

sm_image_inserts.gif

Rigger swivel mounts

sm_image_swival_base.gif

Holder tubes for using the planner mast and downrigging

sm_image_adj_rh.gif

Holders for Muskie trolling

cclampaction.gif

sm_image_rrh_combo3.gif

A couple of these so I can get bumpers where I need them on transient docks

sm_image_CP_04.gif

And thought I'd grab a couple of these (hand lining brackets)..thought I could mount a small propane BBQ out off the gunnel for "shore" lunch without going to shore.

sm_image_handliner.gif

Thanks for reading..just one of those kid in a candy store posts that I had to share!

:)

Wayne

Niiiiiiiiice!!!

I have seen Boston boat first hand... it is a nice setup and I hadnt seen all the toys installed yet!

Wayne be sure to post a ton of pics!

Jamie, you need to post some more! and when we going fishing? I dont think my boat could handle the mighty Niagara!!! LOL

Gerritt.

Actually Wayne, they used to be the same company from what I understand, some sort of family dispute, they split up and Pursuit tracks came to light. there's nothing wrong with Pursuit, it's basically the same deal, as far as the tracks go, but I beleive the Bert's may be a little better quality when it comes to there DR swivel bases and there new ratchet rod holder's are the "Bomb". Enjoy man, you'll like what your getting. J.

Actually Wayne, they used to be the same company from what I understand, some sort of family dispute, they split up and Pursuit tracks came to light. there's nothing wrong with Pursuit, it's basically the same deal, as far as the tracks go, but I beleive the Bert's may be a little better quality when it comes to there DR swivel bases and there new ratchet rod holder's are the "Bomb". Enjoy man, you'll like what your getting. J.

Thanks Jamie. They are SO similar and looks like the same extrusion die is even being used for the tracks. Good to know...cause then I can probably assume components are swap-able.

then I can probably assume components are swap-able.

I am not 100% positive on that one Wayne, but I do know that Pursuit rod holder's fit the Bert's tracks, hard to say as there are so many add ons and accesories, but I'd say your on the right "track" :rolleyes:

J.

Thanks Dave. Where are you guys buying Bert's stuff. They don't sell it online and the dealers they have listed have no mention of it on their websites.

Unfortunate that my order is already in with Pursuit and as matter of fact....Mastercard security has already called today to make sure it was a ligit transaction since I never use my plastic... LOL

Thanks Dave. I'm done spending for now. Will see how it all works out and see what I have as overage for resale and maybe change out the adjustable rod holders with Bert's since they'll fit the tracks. Have 4 adjustables coming from Pursuit.

Jamie...do you know what the adjustables are $ each from Anglers Outfitters? They are $79.99us from Pursuit.