Need a quality camera for fishing,camping trips!

sturgman

I'm really sick and tired of being on the water waiting for the right picture of fish, wildlife, snap the pictures.... get back home and load the pics up to be dissapointed of the quality of a really nice picture gone bad because of the camera quality. I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 3 year old NIKON D40 still in box never used. The buyer is looking to get $500.00 for the camera. Is this a fair price? It seems that most on ebay that are used or refurbished run $150.00 or so? Im hoping you photograpy guys would step up and help a newbie out!

So, whats a Nikon d40 new, still in box run for?

Never used D40 for $500? It's hard to say. Henrys was selling open-box ones for $300 I think about a month ago (with a warranty too). Sometimes you can find them on Kijiji used for $250 or $200 body & lens.

The D40 is a great little camera though. I used my dad’s for a few years before I got my own DSLR. My dad has no intention of upgrading from it anytime soon. It does take some seriously great pics. At 6mp, if you don’t plan to crop or blow the pictures up on large prints, it’s great.

If you are willing to spend $500, you’re better off looking at a used newer model, IMO. In my case, after owning a couple more recent models (both Canon), it’s hard to go back to using the D40...Some of the basic settings can only be changed by scrolling through the menus (which can be a pain considering on most newer cameras, there’s a dedicated button for them). Features-wise, it seems like a dinosaur even to cameras 3yrs old.

Edited by MJL

The Nikon D40 was a great camera back in 2006, when it came out. But that was a lifetime ago in digital camera terms. Right now, it's value is no more than $250, tops, and that would be for one in mint, brand-new (i.e. never used) condition. The guy asking $500 is asking far too much money. Most sell today for $175 - $200.

Instead of spending $500 for a used camera like that, why not buy a NEW Nikon D3100 for just $100 more? It's the D40's replacement (two generations later) and has a more sensitive sensor (14 megapixel vs 6 megapixel for the D40), less noise, faster focusing, faster image processing, and much better colour accuracy. Get it with Nikon's outstanding 18mm to 55mm zoom lens and you're set for almost anything. Right now Henry's is selling that exact package for $599. I've bought a ton of stuff from them - they ship anywhere. Vistek is selling the same package for $579, and also ship anywhere.

That would be a MUCH better buy than a used D40, and at any price. Don't get me wrong - the D40 was a great camera in its day. But digital cameras are like cell phones. It would be like buying a five-year-old beater when you can get a brand-new iPhone for almost the same money. Why not just get the new one?

Just my two cents.

Craig

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I think the price is high as has been suggested. Perhaps you could negotiate it down substantially or if you are comfortable in that price range, want a DSLR and are willing to take the time to learn to use it, than a new one like Craig suggested with warranty is the better buy. The model Craig suggested has the newest Sony sensor so will run for a few years.

Do be aware that hauling a big DSLR around is no small thing and if you are not to photographically inclined will become a pain fast. There are lots of small sensor, good quality point and shoots around that are easy to carry and give good results....

Do be aware that hauling a big DSLR around is no small thing and if you are not to photographically inclined will become a pain fast. There are lots of small sensor, good quality point and shoots around that are easy to carry and give good results....

Also not to forget that DSLRs aren't waterproof :w00t:

I have both a Canon DSLR and a Canon D10 which is a waterproof compact. I often carry both but I would not get a DSLR for taking fishing pictures. If it's raining you won't even take it out of the bag. Most fishing pictures don't require a DSLR and any messed up pictures you would get with the D10 would not be due to poor camera quality. For 500$ you can get a D10 and some accessories on top, take videos, and take underwater shots. Mine also works when it is extremely cold (including underwater shots ice fishing), and you can drop it from a considerable height and nothing will happen to it. It also fits into your pocket which means you will end up taking more pictures.

for the boat a decent point and shoot is all you need. For around $150 you can get a camera that would be hard to take a crappy picture with. The first time it rains when you are out there with your DSLR you will regret it. The point and shoot is definately the way to go.