1989 merc 50 4 cyl

livinisfishin

my motor will start no problem. Will not idle for 5 seconds. When I get it in forward it will stall, when put to full throttle it will only be putting out half the speed. My filter is brand new, the intake on the tank is clean. Not sure what to check now. Wondering if it's a fuel pump issue or something wrong withthe carbs.The floats and needles are 3 monthes old also. It worked for thelast 4 monthes and I let it sit for about 2 weeks.

Thanks

Forgot to mention the motors fast idle lever will get the engine to run at max throttle. I put it in reverse for full throttle it will run at what sounds to be correct. When at 3/4 throttle forward runs close to where it should but once iput it all the way down it slows down and dies.

Edited by livinisfishin

Forgot to mention the motors fast idle lever will get the engine to run at max throttle. I put it in reverse for full throttle it will run at what sounds to be correct. When at 3/4 throttle forward runs close to where it should but once iput it all the way down it slows down and dies.

Just a thought,, air leak in gas line or gas hose has leak.. check that out if it runs at throttle.

I had the exact same thing happening with my 1990 60hp merc. The first thing i would do is a compression test on all four cylinders, mine turned out to be a damaged piston ring on the bottom cylinder...complete rebuild needed. I hope that is not the case with yours but I would definately start with a compression test if everything else seems to fine. Good luck.