T'ing in an additional fuel line

scugpg

I want to add an additional fuel line for a kicker motor, so basically was thinking in this order:

Main fuel line >> "T" >> Primer bulb >> Main

......................................shutoff valve for kicker >> Primer bulb >> Kicker

Does that sound right?

Where can I get a fuel grade shutoff valve, and the associated hardware? Would brass work?

There may be some times where I want to run both motors at once (charge battery etc) so using a 2 way shutoff valve wouldn't be optimal for me.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by scugog

I want to add an additional fuel line for a kicker motor, so basically was thinking in this order:

Main fuel line >> "T" >> Primer bulb >> Main

......................................shutoff valve for kicker >> Primer bulb >> Kicker

Does that sound right?

Where can I get a fuel grade shutoff valve, and the associated hardware? Would brass work?

There may be some times where I want to run both motors at once (charge battery etc) so using a 2 way shutoff valve wouldn't be optimal for me.

Thanks in advance.

I tried this with a 25 merc and a 6 kicker. Didnt work well. I had to take one connector off. If I ran the main,then had to take the connector off the kicker,visaversa.

The only way it may work is tee off after the primer ball.With the proper line and connection at motor.You won't likely be able to run both at the same time,but I'm sure you wouldn't. Other wise,just run two tanks?,two lines,two connectors,done,do whatever you want than.One time relatively small expense.Hope this helps. davey.

Hi Rob, where did you get the t?

From what I understand, its best to have a primer bulb on both lines as the check valve stops air or gas from going backwards.

I got the tee fitting from napa and i do have two primer bulbs one on each line

Edited by memart

You can use one primer bulb before your "T" and then use a 3 way selector/shut off valve. This is the set up recommended by my dealer when I bought the kicker and I have ran my 115 and 8 hp Yamaha's this way now for 5 years and have had no issues. The valve is more expensive than a "T" but IMO a better way to go. It stops the issue of one motor drawing fuel from the other line and causing possible vapor lock. I bought mine at Bass Pro but you should be able to get them just about any where.

I've seen many boats come in with main outboard problems when they add a kicker. The Problem is when you are using the kicker and go back to the main outboard you will have air pockets in the main outboard line. What we do is use a 3 way valve instead of a "T". This way you can choose to either supply fuel to your main, Kicker or turn off the fuel completely. Your also insuring the right amount of fuel flowing to that outboard.

brass3waynew.jpg

I've seen many boats come in with main outboard problems when they add a kicker. The Problem is when you are using the kicker and go back to the main outboard you will have air pockets in the main outboard line. What we do is use a 3 way valve instead of a "T". This way you can choose to either supply fuel to your main, Kicker or turn off the fuel completely. Your also insuring the right amount of fuel flowing to that outboard.

brass3waynew.jpg

That was my issue Henry. Thats why I had to unhook one to run the other.