NF - Help Wiring a Thermostat

ccmtcanada

Ok...I decided to get a programmable thermostat...all the other ones I've wired in the past were easy...just match the exact wire colours to the corresponding lead.

My existing thermostat has a 5 wire system...

IMG-20110902-00456.jpg

The new one has only 4 leads...

IMG-20110902-00453.jpg

The instructions to install says "If you have 2 R wires (which I do...RH for heat and RC for air cond), then connect each wire to its corresponding terminal and remove the jumper" between the RH and RC terminals".

So, here's where I'm confused....

1) I do not see "corresponding terminals" on the new 4 lead thermostat.

2) The jumpers (see pic below) are not labelled RH and RC...they read RE and HG, which from the instructions say it's for electric or gas systems.

IMG-20110902-00460.jpg

The instructions also say "depending on your system, you may need to connect 2 to 9 to the thermostat", but then do not tell you how to do that....

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Terry...its a Garrison brand, model THM321. I'm leaning towards the two R wires are a common hot wire, so thinking of joining them together. An electrician friend believes on my older unit they are likely combined inside anyways. Will research a bit more before trying anything.

Thanks everyone!

You may need a 5-wire thermostat:

RH(heat)and RC(cooling)are wired separately for power if you have a two-transformer system, the separate 24v transformers supply power to switch cooling and heating. In some cases they are jumpered if you have only a single transformer.

W is your heating terminal, and normally will have a white wire.

G is your fan terminal, and will normally have a green wire.

Y is your cooling terminal normally this wire would be yellow.

If you're not sure call a pro.

Good luck.

Dan

Figured the white (heat) and yellow (cool) would complete the correct circuit and engage either the furnace or A/C.

I will head downstairs and check if there is one or two transformers...if only one, I will bridge them together I think. Both A/C and furnace were installed together new, so hoping all on one transformer.

Edited by ccmt

Figured the white (heat) and yellow (cool) would complete the correct circuit and engage either the furnace or A/C.

I will head downstairs and check if there is one or two transformers...if only one, I will bridge them together I think. Both A/C and furnace were installed together new, so hoping all on one transformer.

PM sent...

Please don't let out the magic smoke Cliff

How old is the house/unit.Most of the new stuff 1985 on up should be single tranformer stuff.If its a two trans system you will have to lose the rc trans and rewire for a 4 wire stat.Its not hard but I first need to know if its a one or two trans system.

How old is the house/unit.Most of the new stuff 1985 on up should be single tranformer stuff.If its a two trans system you will have to lose the rc trans and rewire for a 4 wire stat.Its not hard but I first need to know if its a one or two trans system.

Thanks for checking in here! The AC and furnace were installed brand new as a package 10 years ago...so that would be 2001. I followed the wiring in from the AC inside and it goes inside the furnace, so I'm assuming it would be a one transformer setup....

Thanks for checking in here! The AC and furnace were installed brand new as a package 10 years ago...so that would be 2001. I followed the wiring in from the AC inside and it goes inside the furnace, so I'm assuming it would be a one transformer setup....

I wondering why they would have a RC from to the stat then unless they jumpered it in the furnace.There should be a circuit board in the furnace.Take a pic of the lowvoltage(t stat wires) and I may be able to muddle thru it.Its not a lennox is it?

I wondering why they would have a RC from to the stat then unless they jumpered it in the furnace.There should be a circuit board in the furnace.Take a pic of the lowvoltage(t stat wires) and I may be able to muddle thru it.Its not a lennox is it?

Nope, it's not a lennox...thanks for your help!

Here are a few pics...first is the entire board...

IMG-20110902-00463.jpg

This is a close up of the corresponding wiring that runs upstairs...

IMG-20110902-00465.jpg

If I had looked at the circuit board in the first place I could have answered my own question!! I see the RC and RH wires are on the same terminal on the board...so I will just join those same two at the thermostat and attach it to the R terminal. Thanks everyone for the PM's and assistance in this thread...much appreciated!

Lol Geoff! Nope, got some great advice and feel confident now that I heard from a licensed HVAC tech from the board! Btw...the phone ____ just fine, will c___ you when I ___ that __liner ____ lol

ah all's well that ends well eh Cliff? I was going to tell you to hook the two up all along but I wasn't home to look at mine to confirm... :whistling: Oh and even your post has a problem there so I didn't get it all hence the quote. I'll swing buy on the ___ in you ____, sound ___ if not then let __ ____ or you ___ on your own... :devil: