lets talk about north bay

livinisfishin

OK advice from someone who has moved around lots

1st thing I learned--asking most folks that reside in any given place---probably be a positive answer

Most folks hate to admit they may live in a place others would not.

And before anybody jumps---I like North Bay

2nd Are you only going for the job or the sport----If your job folds---Then What??

Like others have said---not tons of opportunity on your doorstep

How do you feel about longer winters and blackflies?

Some small towns (N Bay??may not be small) can be cliquey---they see lots of folks come and go---hard to make new friends

I'm not trying to talk you out of it---but we've lived from southern--eastern---central and northwestern Ontario--seen lots

OK advice from someone who has moved around lots

1st thing I learned--asking most folks that reside in any given place---probably be a positive answer

Most folks hate to admit they may live in a place others would not.

And before anybody jumps---I like North Bay

2nd Are you only going for the job or the sport----If your job folds---Then What??

Like others have said---not tons of opportunity on your doorstep

Some small towns (N Bay??may not be small) can be cliquey---they see lots of folks come and go---hard to make new friends

I'm not trying to talk you out of it---but we've lived from southern--eastern---central and northwestern Ontario--seen lots

Some great stuff to think about thanks. Im from a smaller town with less opportunity in my opinion. So to me this ist a step up. Longer winters not so nice but ill deal with it because of the experience i will get from this job as opposed to the one i am currently in. The biggest factor for me is money. I will be making a bit more but not enough to offset my cost of living. I will be going from living with my parents to full out on my own..that is the scary part.

I've moved around a lot in my former career as well. It gets harder as you get older with more stuff, family issues like school changes, etc.. My advice, if it will help your work, go for it. You need to get out on your own anyway and leave the nest, its time.

North Bay is a great area, watch your finances and get a place to rent you can afford (I don't presume you'll be buying). You'll develop friends from work, recreational activities and clubs quickly enough. Be outgoing and friendly and you'll get that back in return. This is the point in your life where you start to make things happen for yourself, looks like you're on your way....

Its only 4 hrs from hell but it gets quite cold.

I forgot how close it was to Toronto.

You misspelled "mayflies."

Shadfly01.jpg

(pic from wikipedia page. I took this pic in North Bay. there's a truck underneath all that. gross.)

Edited by Dana

I think this is a move you need to make if you take the long picture. Gaining new work AND life experiences is what it's all about. When I was around 18, I left the Centre of the Universe , aka Hell, for work in London, Ont.. Big change for a big city kid. Loved it totally and in hindsight, am surprised my parents didn't get all clucky about their youngest kid leaving and besides, you'll always have a home to go back to no matter where you are.

North Bay wouldn't be too bad a place from the times I've visited there and the year round recreational opportunities available would be rather enviable. Being soooo close to the West Arm and the French would clinch it for me if I were in your shoes.

Lastly, there's always the community here at OFCN to lean on if the transition hits a few rough patches.

WB

Interesting thread

I have always wondered about North Bay as well, I sometimes apply for jobs near there that are posted where I work, it is one of the less obscure places on the list! i.e. Kapuskasing, Barrett Chute, Atikokan, Ear Falls etc. I always apply just for the hell of it, if I ever got a job offer, I might have to think about it though!

I have driven through North Bay and it seemed nice enough, like lots of people here have said. It seemed like a big town/small town feel at the same time, I think it would not be such a hard transition from the GTA.

On a similar note, has anyone lived/had experience near Kincardine/Port Elgin? I have a job offer there that I am thinking about, but I don't think I want to leave the company I am with right now.

No worries nick I've had a change of pace..for now. I've had to turn down the offer ..reason being I have a few monthes of debt to pay off and then ill be able to look at a much better apartment aswell as give myself some time to find something a little more local. Up north would be great but all in good time. Thanks for all the support guys and sorry for wasting your time.

No offense but the idea that some people consider North Bay as "up north" is amusing, says something about how southern Ontario centric some people are, o wait, North bay should technically be considered southern Ontario, and it isn't that cold here nor does it snow all that much, at least not compared to most of Canada. That would be the probably 90 percent of the country further north than North Bay, we are actually further south than Seattle Washington, which is obviously further south than all of western Canada. North bay is a nice place to live, but then some people think the constant suburb south of Barrie is something special, to each his own, crazy people need a place to live too.

No offense but the idea that some people consider North Bay as "up north" is amusing, says something about how southern Ontario centric some people are, o wait, North bay should technically be considered southern Ontario, and it isn't that cold here nor does it snow all that much, at least not compared to most of Canada. That would be the probably 90 percent of the country further north than North Bay, we are actually further south than Seattle Washington, which is obviously further south than all of western Canada. North bay is a nice place to live, but then some people think the constant suburb south of Barrie is something special, to each his own, crazy people need a place to live too.

Ya blarg, we are not that North. It is a great place to live and very central to the rest of Ontario.

my wife is from the BAY and her family is still up there. Outdoors paridise if you ask me. You can go any direction and find hundreds and hundreds of lakes to fish, boat play in. People are pretty friendly up there. Winters are harsh but buy a sled and a good fish hut and problem solved.

If i had work up there I would move there in a heartbeat

Cheers!