Nothing at Liberty Lake. Again.

adolson

Liberty Lake is so peaceful (and misty/foggy) in the morning. It was almost cleared up when we took this pic:

263280_10150347168725928_728810927_9914038_6069554_n.jpg

I did not catch any Aurora Trout. I've now put over 18 hours into this lake with nothing but a lost lure to show for it... Hard to want to go back, especially when my fish-finder shows me stuff like this:

293965_10150347169010928_728810927_9914046_3411215_n.jpg

The red Tetris bricks are supposedly fish, but I think they're ghosts. Shoulda brought a Proton Pack instead of a fishing rod. Ghosts also jump, apparently. Right near the boat, too. Little buggers teasing me, they were.

On the way home I stopped to do a handful of casts at a couple water access points along the road. And I caught something!!! My new personal best sardine!!! I was so happy!!!

294965_10150347169470928_728810927_9914059_2565646_n.jpg

It was a nice morning with the wife, at least. She wanted to keep that perch as a pet, lol! And man, outside is pretty. So peaceful. And I love the rain. Just wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong at Liberty Lake. Waking up at 4am again doesn't appeal right now.

Time for a nap, and then hopefully hitting Montreal River again with a couple friends.

Edited by Dana

Part Two:

My cousin and my friend came over and we hit the Montreal again tonight. My friend always uses pickerel rigs, and today was no exception. The difference this time is he was the first to hook a fish (a little bass), but it got off after a nice jump.

I was trying all kinds of lures to see what they were hitting on, but when he had that hit on a dead, frozen minnow, I put on my trusty floating Rapala (this time a new, jointed natural gold one). Within a few casts, I also had a hit - a little pike:

262841_10150347616005928_728810927_9919134_5911298_n.jpg

By that time, it started to rain lightly, and picked up shortly after and didn't let up until we left. We were drenched, cold, and tired (especially me), but there are few things I'd rather do on a Saturday afternoon/evening. :)

Here's the second one:

292746_10150347612530928_728810927_9919080_4939501_n.jpg

I didn't want to keep either of them, but my buddy wanted them so I let him have them.

Aside from these two, I had a bass hit as I was shore-walking with my lure in the water. I wasn't expecting it, and it jumped and I lost it shortly after. I had another pike on at another point but lost that, too.

I clipped on my BRAND NEW Rattlin' Rapala, as I told my cousin about how I bought it and lost it at Gillies Lake, bought a replacement and lost that under the Latchford bridge last week, and then now was going to try the third time I bought it. First cast, the knot on the swivel came undone or the line broke or something and the freaking lure flew into the middle of the river. :wallbash: This is the only lure that does this to me! My knots (palomar) are fine, it's just that cursed lure, I tell ya!

Woulda been nice to land some bass (or walleye), but hey, at least I got something. My cousin didn't even get a bite, and my friend lost a couple minnows from his hooks after losing the bass, but nothing hooked. All in all, it was a great night with friends in the pouring rain at my favorite spot. I've never left there without landing something, knock on wood.

I'm thinkin new avatar.... :tease:

hahaha, I agree.

As cruel as this is, I find it funny that you have the WORST lucj with rattin raps. May i suggest looking at the floating version?????<evil grin>

Next time you are down in southern Ontario, look me up and we can go for a fish.

As cruel as this is, I find it funny that you have the WORST lucj with rattin raps. May i suggest looking at the floating version?????<evil grin>

Next time you are down in southern Ontario, look me up and we can go for a fish.

Well, I've had some good success with the Cotton Cordell Super Spot, including early morning bass and my PB birthday bass... But I hooked a floating dock with it the other day and had to cut the line... It's at a family cottage, so I'll get it back soon. I tried to canoe out to it but the waves were super rough and I was not getting anywhere I wanted to be. First time hooking a dock, but it was mostly the wind's fault. :P

Don't get frustrated. Mid-summer + , well, they're Aurora's. Probably among the most elusive freshwater fish on the planet. I'd suggest trying your hand with specks and lakers and getting familiar with them before trying to get those stupid auroras. I know south of Haileybury there's a bunch of lakes stocked with various trout. :thumbsup_anim: