Terry gets caught in MNR raid

Terry

I worked as a conservation officer in Quebec for a while. I worked in a ZEC (controlled exploitation zone). We did a lot of stuff like staking out at night near spawning beds or checking for loaded firearms in vehicles at night. Or portaging for a couple of hours just to check out 1 group of fishermen. It often brought results and the word did get around that we could be anywhere, anytime.

I know of some conservation officers who never leave their vehiclev. I also worked with some guys who were scared to write up a report on somebody. We worked in pairs and it's not much fun when you are writing up citations to a group of fishermen or hunters while your partner is doing something like checking our equipment. When I had a partner who was willing to go the extra mile, it was fun. It was particular fun when we checked fishermen or hunters who were genuinly surprised to see us.

It's nice to see that some agents do take their job seriously.

I wonder why they felt the need to ambush you guys? Seems a bit much but I'm sure they have times when that element of surprise is not enough. Nice to see them doing their job. Good for you too Mr Clean.

I can understand an ambush, at times

but for godsakes

wear a uniform when you do

...and as for Mr Clean, I would think almost everyone here would stay within the law and not give it a second thought.....no big deal

I can understand an ambush, at times

but for godsakes

wear a uniform when you do

...and as for Mr Clean, I would think almost everyone here would stay within the law and not give it a second thought.....no big deal

Absolutely, in this case, wear a uniform. I'd say the same for everyone here as well but there are some gray areas in the regs that might lead to a ticket. I wonder for example - 6 guys on a fly in trip, one guy cleaning the fish that every had caught (let's say there's 7 fish). The others are fishing, drinking whatever and away from the fish. Is the guy cleaning the fish over his limit if the CO's ambush him? If you have cleaned the fish and didn't leave any skin on them and they are in the fridge they'll give the guy who cleaned them a ticket. :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

these are not remote lakes. they are lakes that the mnr has put up a fence around so that you HAVE to spend 1500 dollars just to fish them. the reality is MOST of those lakes are quite accessible, many even by truck.

it's a scam that defrauds the fly-in angler of getting the "remote" experience they paid for, and it scams the people of the area who are told they aren't allowed to access crown land lakes that are half hour from their homes.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Believe me there is no such thing as a fly in lodge up there. I have worked up there before all lodges are accessible by logging road. Most lodges do however own some point to the road and have big metal gates so you can't drive in. There are lodges that let you drive in but most have tell you its fly in only. and Hawk air and the others all will tell you the same thing.

I think for the most part it would just allow them to search more...but could be used in court along with other evidence

and of course you can refuse to let them see the pictures

but if they feel it is evidence they ca get a search warrant to see them, with the extra powers the MNR has at that point they can take the camera because by the time they got back with the warrant, you would have the pictures deleted

In all the years I've went to Canada fishing the only time we were stopped and searched was at lake Ogascanan in Quebec back in 95. We were on the far end of the lake 15 miles from camp when they approached us in their boat.

i think most of us think it would be better to have more officers patroling where there are more fisherman... im on the st.lawrence river... ridiculous amount of boats fishing... im in my boat 3-4 times a week... and i only get checked maybe....maybe once a year... usually while im carp fishing.... a fish that your allowed to shoot with a bow and let it float down the river.... and they are checking carp guys like crazy... no limit ...no season... but walleye... i can honestly say that ive never in my life had a CO check my livewell for walleye... never... you would think he would take a peak in the well to see if there was a pile of fish or just a couple.... nope... and ive never heard of the local COs checking anybody elses wells either...

so why spend the crazy amount of time on terry's little croup?

why not put that time in on waters with more fisherman and check them properly?

in my opinion that was 2 people's days pay that i helped pay for... and they are pissing our license money away spending a full day trying to catch a specific few anglers on a fly in lake... they should be focused on the masses...

really... how much damage do you think terry's group could do to a lake???really???

meanwhile there are guys limiting 1-2 times a day every day on perch where i live...

Gary (Rupert), as far as I know the only guy that patrols here checked my livewell last weekend. I've seen him 3-4 times this year first time he asks to see my fish. He's out there but like he was telling me he's the only guy who covers the entire area. Not nearly enough. He told me he caught a bunch of guys with bass in the Raisin before the season opened. He said they told him they thought they were walleyes lol.

Anyway, couldn't agree more though. There needs to be more of them out there. It's scary when you consider the numbers of perch that get taken out of here every year. By the way in my 20+ years fishing around here I have NEVER seen any Quebec conservation officers out here. Not once.

And Terry, about your run-in, that's pretty crazy that they went through all that trouble. I would guess someone called them.

Edited by Jigs

2 guys came at us out of the bush dressed in normal street clothes , I could not hear what they were saying but the were come at us very aggressively

Hope you had a change of underwear!

:w00t:

Glad to hear that they are at least on the job. I do agree that the time setting up and waiting could maybe have been better invested, but I guess it probably pays off for them in most cases. Who would ever expect an ambush on a remote lake? And yes I'd be ticked off to learn I had spent a small fortune to fly into a lake that was they drove into!

By biggest problem with this story is the plain cloths. I dont get that. When you are that far north and have a couple of guys running at you in a secluded area like a fly-in lake, first instinct would be to swing first and ask questions later.

I am not the type to start something ever, but there are just too many movies... and I dont want to ever "squeal like a pig". LOL. I just think it was an irresponsible move by the mnr to approach in plain cloths IMO. And sounds a little too covert of a mission. Weird.

i paid 5 grand to go to wollaston lake and then a float plane lands and wants to see a fishing license come on i have seen a guide at quinte with 8 fish over 25'' and only 5 guys on board they don't need to fly-in they can stay local and make a ton of money and then jump out at them thats over kill it's good they check you could hire more mnr for what spend on that plane just stay on 11 and check them there i have been checked on 11 coming back from nakina

if they landed in a float plane I would have felt better

but I have no problem with them checking me

just don't scare me

I didn't take many extra underwear

and the plain clothing was the thing that scared/bugged me

my buddy was closer to them and yelled WHO the hell are you......as they came at us, in an aggressive way....

so I guess after scaring me and busting my bubble about exclusive fly-ins ..there

was some satisfaction in the fact that they had to paddle home in the rainy dark ...LOL

:whistling:

Terry, you should be grateful that it wasn't Connie's buddy from the Red Lake area. You might have been surprised to find a few limits of walleye in your fridge. :D

And maybe even a few chunks of freshly butchered deer.

Roy, I fished LOTW August 1-9 and met a guy who hunts moose around Ear Falls. He started a fishcop story and I finished it for him. The cop is well known and loves his job. Can't keep a wife or friends, but keeps his job.

He stopped me on the road home in May 2010, but after a rather long conversation, forgot to check us for fish. Oh well.

Edited by TennesseeGuy