Medium Action telescopic rod for Salt Water

quickme

I am leaving for Varadaro Cuba tomorrow and hope to get some fishing in. I don't want to bring my saltwater rod case as I told the Mrs. "I don't think i'll go out but if I do have some time when the kids are sleeping I want to be prepared..." I bought a telescopic medium action rod that I'm going to pack in my suitcase ( save $25 for extra baggage) and going to pair it with a hefty saltwater spinning reel. My question is for the guys/gals that have been fishing out that way, do you think a medium action is too light? I'm just fishing from shore ( i hope) and not really targeting anything. I've seen that you can catch cuda's from shore but is that going to snap my rod in half like a toothpick? I've googled fishing in Varadaro Cuba to death and there isn't much info so hopefully if I do get out and successful I'll have an awesome post to re-live my experience.

Nick

It'll be fine - if you were going for a week's solid fishing then you'd probably want to go heavier but for rock or pier fishing I'm sure you'll be OK as long as you have the reel drag set appropriately in case you do hook something big. I certainly wouldn't buy anything special as a "just in case I have time" setup.

Enjoy B)

When you're fishing from shore, most of the fish you catch will be the salt water equivalent of panfish: blue runners, Spanish mackerel, pinfish, ladyfish, snappers, sheephead, flounder, pompano, maybe some small snook or grouper. Most of these fish will weigh from one to five pounds, and will fight like absolute crazy. They will be a real blast with a medium-action rod.

You may also hook larger fish, including barracuda, cobia, large snook, tarpon, or different types of sharks. There's no worry about breaking your rod providing the drag is properly set. Getting spooled, however, is another matter altogether. I strongly suggest you bring extra line (it's not always easy to find in Cuba) and remember to rinse your stuff off in fresh water after fishing.

Have fun! White jigs or gold-coloured spoons work well for just about everything.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie