Hunting Vehicle(nf)

BITEME

Over time im sure there has been a few Law Enforcement types on this board so I have a question for you or someone in the Know

Can I carry my shottie on my bike to go hunting. It will be locked in a locked case secured to the bike and if need be the ammo will be on my person or in another locked case on the bike

LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL That is the Question???????? :dunno:

Peter

Over time im sure there has been a few Law Enforcement types on this board so I have a question for you or someone in the Know

Can I carry my shottie on my bike to go hunting. It will be locked in a locked case secured to the bike and if need be the ammo will be on my person or in another locked case on the bike

LEGAL OR NOT LEGAL That is the Question???????? :dunno:

Peter

when you say bike , is it a muscle powered mountain bike or a motorized bike? also are you on trails or public roads? would make a difference.

Good question!

Need to clarify a bit..

Bike = Motorcycle, bicycle, or Quad.

I have been wondering the same thing regarding a on/off road dirt bike.

I've seen several times up north while grouse hunting, guys riding around with their guns out, no case, riding dirt bikes and quads on the side roads. I don't know how this would work driving up the 400, or Younge street for that matter.

You say "hunting vehicle" kinda of a stretch calling a bike a hunting vehicle yes!

I would say the local law enforcement types would have issue`s with guys driving motorcycles with shotguns strapped to them!!!

In my eyes not even close to a stretch fair game the way I see it besides my horse is at the repair shop

Really very legitimate question

Peter

Totally legal if not loaded while underway Pete. Now the 911 calls for a "nutcase on a bike with a gun" are going to be another thing in todays society !! :wallbash:

Unless you live in the North where it's common place.

Even when I lived near Orangeville I would walk down my road with my gun slung over my shoulder (unloaded) while walking to my hunting grounds. In Yellowknife it is the rule rather than the exception to see someone driving through town on their quad or snowmobile toting a firearm. ;)

Motorcycle, would be traviling provincial/municiple roads to the spot then parking and walk the bush?spot

any ideas

Legal. If you have it all locked and it's not loaded then you are good to go. My cousin hunts all the time and takes his bike to get to the cottage/camp to hunt. Yes, he has been pulled over too and let go.

Totally legal if not loaded while underway Pete. Now the 911 calls for a "nutcase on a bike with a gun" are going to be another thing in todays society !! :wallbash:

True, why else do you think my cousin got pulled over, some call about a crazy guy thinking he was the terminator... :sarcasm:

legal

but you will be pulled over by the cops with guns drawn

not true. if you wait to see how the local cop or OPP are coming to you; you can step off with hands raised and tell him/her it's locked and where you have the key. step away and let them see how it's mounted and locked. if the cop is nice they will radio to the others in the direction you are going so you don't get pulled over every 20 min. you can always ask the cop to help you and and advise others in the area if they don't offer. just smile and be nice no matter what the situation looks like its going to turn into.

Legal. If you have it all locked and it's not loaded then you are good to go. My cousin hunts all the time and takes his bike to get to the cottage/camp to hunt.

not true. if you wait to see how the local cop or OPP are coming to you; you can step off with hands raised and tell him/her it's locked and where you have the key. step away and let them see how it's mounted and locked. if the cop is nice they will radio to the others in the direction you are going so you don't get pulled over every 20 min. you can always ask the cop to help you and and advise others in the area if they don't offer. just smile and be nice no matter what the situation looks like its going to turn into.

I want some of what you are smoking

at lest 4 cop cars will pull you over and guns will be drawn

if a cop pulls up beside you and see it, it may go down your way but if a tree huger sees it and calls, it will go down my way

Just mount one of these on your bike for transporting your firearm.

While they are made for quads it shouldn't be too difficult to rig it up to a 2 wheeler. ;)

Store the gun with triger lock in place and you shouldn't have an issue.

What's the tree hugger going to say?

Officer I just saw someone on a bike with a plastic case that looked like a gun!!!! Get here quick!!!

I used to do this years ago when I lived further south, and every time I left to go blast some ducks and geese up the road, it wouldn't take long for someone to call the cops! I had a scooter and had it over my shoulder in its case and locked up legally. I had 6 cop cars suround me the one day :rolleyes: I had a good laugh about it anyways, after their guns were put back in their holsters :blink:

Good luck

Up here I leave my gun boot on my ATV and drive it everywhere. Legal on the streets and secondary highways.

Sometimes the gun is in it, sometimes not.

Never been checked or pulled over.

As long as the cover is on the gun boot and unloaded it is legal. It does not need to be trigger locked as long as you are with the gun. You can have a pocketful of ammunition, just in case you see a partridge. :)

I want some of what you are smoking

at lest 4 cop cars will pull you over and guns will be drawn

if a cop pulls up beside you and see it, it may go down your way but if a tree huger sees it and calls, it will go down my way

I guess going from Peterborough to Potash Lake is a whole different story then Terry. That's how it's always been for him. Maybe his plate has been tagged as far as I know as he get's pulled over less and less each year now. :unsure:

Edited by GBW

Up here I leave my gun boot on my ATV and drive it everywhere. Legal on the streets and secondary highways.

Sometimes the gun is in it, sometimes not.

Never been checked or pulled over.

As long as the cover is on the gun boot and unloaded it is legal. It does not need to be trigger locked as long as you are with the gun. You can have a pocketful of ammunition, just in case you see a partridge. :)

Yup.

You don't even need a cover except for after dark.

I live in the city and when I go out I just take the gun from my house, no case, and put it on the front seat. When I get back I take it in the house and lock it up.

If I leave my truck I am supposed to toss a blanket over the gun and lock the doors.

There is no law as I know against having a gun rack in the back window of your pickup and keeping the guns there as long as you put them out of sight and lock the truck when you park it.

Everybody is scared to do that with all the silly misunderstood laws nowadays but its still legal.

I don't know of any law stopping you from carrying a long gun down the street in the city as long as it isn't loaded.

No wonder people don't understand the gun regs. Its threads like this that get people thinking the wrong thing. It is totally legal to carry a gun around, out if its case, in/on any motor vehicle during daylight hours. (half hour before sunrise until a half hour after sunset) I could drive around town with my shotgun on the front seat all day long, it is totally legal. It must be unloaded of course, but totally legal to have it out in plain view in my vehicle.

A half hour after sunset until a half hour before sunrise, you can still have your gun in/on any motor vehcile, as long as its in its case.

No need for any kind of locks either. Locking your gun is only required for storage. If your with your gun, it doesn't have to be locked at all.

S.

you should try it and if you get in trouble just tell the officer you performed your due diligence and learned all you need to know about gun laws by asking questions of speculators on a fishing website. i'm sure they will let you off. :sarcasm:

if you really want to know call the CFO and ask there is a 1-800 #.

hey joey is there a website i can order that bike from?

Edited by smally21

you should try it and if you get in trouble just tell the officer you performed your due diligence and learned all you need to know about gun laws by asking questions of speculators on a fishing website. i'm sure they will let you off. :sarcasm:

if you really want to know call the CFO and ask there is a 1-800 #.

hey joey is there a website i can order that bike from?

The correct answers have already been given, perfectly legal. That doesn't mean you won't get hassled, but it is legal.