Forrest Lodge on Caribou Lake

Pikeslayer8

Thinkin about slippin up for a late fall anniversary celebration just me and the old lady.:blahblah1: :blahblah1:

I can see I don't have near enough pictures to hang on this board. :worthy: Gotta get some more!

If anybody knows much about this place run by Scott and Mary Jo Robinson located close to Armstrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Pikeslayer8

I can't add a whole lot...except years back I stayed there one night at the end of a canoe trip.

Beautiful facility, very well kept with really nice cabins.

I fished Caribou lake from my canoe and caught tons of fish. I don't expect much has changed.

It's been on my list of trips to do, I've always wanted to go back. Havn't found the time yet.

You likely would be hard pressed to find a better drive to destination in that region imo.

I can't add a whole lot...except years back I stayed there one night at the end of a canoe trip.

Beautiful facility, very well kept with really nice cabins.

I fished Caribou lake from my canoe and caught tons of fish. I don't expect much has changed.

It's been on my list of trips to do, I've always wanted to go back. Havn't found the time yet.

You likely would be hard pressed to find a better drive to destination in that region imo.

Thanks Solo

Only about 50 miles straight west from Abamasagi

Thank you for your reply, I am about ready to pull the trigger. I like the idea of being on the same water Solopaddler has tred :worthy:

• 5 months later...

Did you end up going? Curious how things turned out.

Fish Logic,

I thought I had posted my report on this lake on this fine forum, if not well, I'll do it again. Thanks for your interest.

Arrived at Forrest lodge Tues afternoon. Set up and was on the water by 2:00. Conditions then were warm and still. Water temp @ 59. Water level down about 3'. I decided to go fish Smoothrock falls for the rest of the day, fished in 15-25 ft. of water and caught nothing. 2 brutal bite-offs.

Wed, I was first on the lake and decided to drag crawler harness w bttm. bouncer at spot marked by Scott . Pretty much open water fishing @40-60' Wasn't long before other boats moved in on me but keeping a respectable distance. I moved on hoping to find my own spot, ended up at the far end of the lake past Keller Island near "Little America". Caught 1 walleye using 3/8 oz jig w pink thumper tail. Getting back to camp, I discovered the other group in camp(that moved in on me) did well not too long after I left. Oh well. They were a great bunch of guys even though they were Badgers. (Go Hawks). One guy named Buzz even showed me a picture of a 16.5" blue walleye he caught. Brilliant blue color. One thing sticking in my craw abit was that Scott was there hearing this report and all he said was "You must be doing something wrong". Thank you Mr. Obvious. Kind of embarrassed me. He does tell me at checkout that bottom bouncers don't seem to work very well in this lake. :wallbash:

On Thursday the weather changed with the start of a nasty cold front moving in. Temps fell, winds brought white caps (wife did not like). Went to the narrows to find some sheltered water albiet dead. Went back to Smoothrock Falls and Roxann finally catches a small pike. I had a biggun on for a short time just long enough to know it was over 35". Tough day with the winds and rain.

Friday we woke to 40 temps, very windy with temps dropping, by 8:30 was 35 and snowing. Since I was scheduled to leave on Sat anyway, we pulled the plug a day early. No redemption for me. I come back a humble Slayer. :whistling:

Caribou Lake is a deep, clear lake with little or no current. One small outlet trickles into Smoothrock with no major inlets. You wouldn't know it by me but I do believe it is a very nice fishery. Fishing pressure is much more than what I'm accoustomed to. In addition to Forrest Lodge and Caribou Lake Lodge their is Bear Paw Lodge and the "Little America" Indian camp. With a public launch, lots of boats.

Proprietors, Scott and Mary Jo are very nice people and run a tight camp.

You know guys, this is an awesome place to go on a spur. One of the great values out there. RV and even tent camping is availiable. I set my late trip with less than a months notice.

Personally, I probably wouldn't go back as I have my June trips set and fall is where I want to experience other places in this slice of heaven we know as NW Ontario.

My wife doesn't like the cold

DSC00284.jpg

and fishes with captured critters

DSC00283.jpg

my little walleye

DSC00264.jpg

shout out to another lodge on the lake that is 100% handicapped accessible. Nicer boat upgrades too. Bear Paw Lodge

DSC00278.jpg

Thanks for re-posting your report Pikeslayer. Your thread came up from a search on Abamasagi; and I didn't bother to search for anything on Forrest Lodge or Caribou Lake so that's probably why I missed your report. Anyway, looks like Caribou lake might be a bit too busy for my liking. Probably the case for most drive-to lodges.

Cheers!