Peterbourough Poachers

asdve23rveavwa

Three Peterborough anglers have been fined a total of $4,100 for illegal fishing.

Phuc Nguyen and Thoa Bui were fined $1,200 each and had their fishing licences suspended for six months. Tan-Vo Huynh was fined $1,700 and had his fishing licence suspended for six months. All of the angling equipment seized was forfeited permanently to the Crown.

The court heard that Tan-Vo Huynh, Phuc Nguyen and Thoai Bui were inspected by an Ontario Provincial Police officer and a Ministry of Natural Resources conservation officer working a marine patrol on Rice Lake and the Otonabee River on May 13, 2011. The officers found the men in possession of 21 walleye prior to the season opening.

Justice of the Peace Jason Mariasine heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice, Peterborough, on July 14, 2011.

To report a natural resources violation call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time, or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Six months...should have been at least six years. :wallbash:

I get the frustration but I think that the problem is that we need more enforcement so more people can be caught. The penalty actually sounds pretty good to me. I would imagine that a $1700 fine and losing all your gear would sting a bit.

The thing I hate is that they can probably go right back out fishing the next day and carry on and will probably not see a CO for another 10 years.

thats insane !!! thats all...big friggin deal,should have been $500 per fish...and banned from fishing for life...vote for me to run the MNR I WILL FIX THAT RIGHT AWAY...GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yeah, burns my butt!

This one might go south in a hurry (apologies to mods) but, it makes me both sad and angry to see violations such as this get the slap on the wrist treatment. Who knows how big those walleyes were, possibly spawning females, as it happened pre-seaon opener?

If you notice in the article, their gear was forfieted as well. Good chance that included the boat, as they were caught by the marine patrol. Assuming it was a decent vessel, that could be a real kick in the wallet.

If you notice in the article, their gear was forfieted as well. Good chance that included the boat, as they were caught by the marine patrol. Assuming it was a decent vessel, that could be a real kick in the wallet.

Good point Albert. Let's hope so!

at least poachers are being caught, better than not even if the punishment seeems light

I agree......100%! Let's not dwell too much on how we would like to remove their gonads with a rusty blade, they were caught and punished.

poaching pre season walleye in sanctuary areas is a big problem where i live... and ive been told its $1000 bucks per fish... on top of losing anything you have with you...truck...boat...gear...ect...

but in my situation... it is more netting/trapping spawning walleye up the tributaries... cant really play stupid with an illigal trap...

Even better than a stiffer sentence would be lots of publicity. If I recall correctly studies have shown that crime goes down when people think there's a greater likelihood of getting caught. It's more effective than anything else.

x2

Pure ignorance and disregard for the rules, regulations and law. I wonder if the MNR conducted a search of their personal freezers, etc. If they had 21 illegally caught walleye, I'm darn sure they would've had more stashed somewhere. At least they can't play the "I can't read english" card since the rules and regs are in several languages now. Yes, they did get caught and good for the authorities but I personally think that the penalties are way to soft.......it's becoming a terrible trend. A total of $4100 between 3 "gentlemen" and all their fishing gear seized is pathetic. For all we know, they could've been using $20 rod/reel combos and worms as well.

Seems like a reasonable punishment to me....I know I'd be hesistant to violate any of the regs after that if I were in their shoes.

The thing about the whole incident that ticks me off the most, is the measly 6 month suspension...COME ON, take their fishing rights away for at LEAST 3 years.

Will the suspension and fine be recorded when they reapply for their licences ? If not it should, then who ever rubber stamps these things can go "hey wait a minute..." and turn them down or IF they get it, the next CO should really haul their asses through the gauntlet or make them swim home. yeah, I dream big lol

btw, wonder if they lost their car as well ?

Ya! This Chris Little guy too sounds like a "foreigner" to me:

http://www.mindentimes.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1396590&archive=true

James Nelison is actually is a "foreigner" (from the US, their tricky foreigners, 'cause they look like "us")

http://www.rainyriverrecord.com/node/8487

This "foreigner" got to be a Peterbough City councilor

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3214171

Point one: "foreigners" are not the only people breaking the law.

Point two: Just 'cause their name is not John Smith it doesn't mean they are not Canadian.

Point three: When someone starts a statement with "I don't mean to sound racist" it usually is a racist statement.

Ya! This Chris Little guy too sounds like a "foreigner" to me:

http://www.mindentimes.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1396590&archive=true

James Nelison is actually is a "foreigner" (from the US, their tricky foreigners, 'cause they look like "us")

http://www.rainyriverrecord.com/node/8487

This "foreigner" got to be a Peterbough City councilor

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3214171

Point one: "foreigners" are not the only people breaking the law.

Point two: Just 'cause their name is not John Smith it doesn't mean they are not Canadian.

Point three: When someone starts a statement with "I don't mean to sound racist" it usually is a racist statement.

thank you, thank you and thank you. :clapping: