Lake Scugog

r48550

I'm taking my father out on Lake Scugog from Island Marina on Friday. I don't know the east side of the lake that well. My forte is bass so we should be okay there. However, I'm not much of a walleye or muskie fisherman. I understand that many muskie are caught in Scugog without even targeting them. Even so are there some decent tips anyone is willing to offer. Walleye are my dad's favorite and I have jigged with some success through the weeds for them. Are there locations on the east side or the north of Scugog that might yield better results?

Thanks in advance, Pete from Brooklin.

Welcome to OFC Pete.

What kind of boat are you fishing out of and gear do you plan on bringing with you?

Over between Washburn and Viewlake you should find a rather mixed bag of fish. Good luck.

Geoff

Scugog at this time of year has some real high weed growth. Work the areas that Geoff suggested. Find the weed edges, troll or drift with either worm harnesses, inline spinner, bucktail jigs. You should get a mixed bag of fish, with a definite shot at an incidental musky.

Good luck!!

troll weedlines with eire deres lucky strike victor spoons with a 4inch white green pink yellow or orange grub and tip it with a hole worm straight out from washburn in about 3-6 fow is where youl hit fish keep in mind you will get crappie there also if your catching perch your in a area where the walleye will be feeding another area is straight out from ceserea and troll west if you want to jig keep heading striaght out west just before you hit thick dense weeds and rip bucktails also if you have a big enough motor run to the lindsay river and fish the mouth for walleye ps if you can bring a marker or if you have a gps on your boat maark the spot where you hit the first fish and go over the spot numerous times

Sweet, thanks boys. I'm heading out with a rental from island marina (my boat is north of Kingston right now) so we won't be venturing to far a field with the little 9.9! That's fine though, washburn and view lake are very close by.

You know Scugog reminds me of my home lake, Lake Opinicon. Shallow with plenty of weeds. Although Opinicon is really only good for bass and northern pike and the odd crappie. Anyone ever heading on that lake by chance let me know...I'll "hook" you up with my best spots.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes and hopefully I'll have some photos as evidence.

Regards, Pete.

Edited by r48550

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess the best I can say is a bad day fishing is better then a good day working! Man, Scugog is really tuff to fish. I couldn't find water more then 8 feet in depth anywhere. I tried everything: jigging, rip'n buck tails, top water, worm harnesses, boppers etc. I caught a 2.5 Lbs large mouth at the north end of the island straight out from the public boat launch near the marker. That was a good fight and a healthy looking fish...photo to come. I have to give a recommendation for Island Marina. Very professionally operated and the boats are great. The engine was a really quiet four stroke. So after a disappointing day I headed to my cottage on Lake Opinicon for a week and boy the fish were crazy aggressive all week. Caught a couple of monster pike and a 6 pound large mouth! I love fishing! Soon I'll be picking up a fishing boat that I'll be putting in on Scugog and I'm sure that I'll learn the lake if I'm patient. I didn't have the success on Opinicon until I fished it regularly for two seasons after all. Photos to come...