need some advice

duxbware

Hello all,

I was thinking of booking a charter with my 5 year old son. A few issues I have run into are 1) he has never been in a boat on the great lakes and I am concerned that he may get sick ( I did my first time hehe) and I am out the money 2)Most charters have a flat rate for up to six people, it will only be my son and I. I am looking for something on lake Huron or Erie but I am willing to look else where. Does anyone know of a charter that may " work something out" if my son gets sick and we have to return to port? I called a few but they said they are out the money, which I understand. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Duxbware

I dont know of any charters that offer what you are looking for, but I can advise what I did with my 8 going on 9 year old --Kids Gravol - a pill the night before and another the next morning before you go out. We went out 10 miles into Lake O with a mild chop and he was not bothered one bit. The other thing that worked (ask TB4me) was an Ipod. TB got a little green around the gills the one day out with me and another OFNer. Michael said put this on - handed him his son's ipod. Worked like a charm. Dont ask me how - but it did.

Given the music selection, I'm surprised it worked at all, hey Ron? sarcasm.gif

What is it you want to catch? I wouldn't worry about the young lad getting sea sick. If you don't mention it to him, he will more than likely be just fine. If you see him turning green, get him to drive the boat.

There are lots of great charters out of lake O, depending on what you want to catch.

S.

Go to the pharmacy store and get him the patch, it is meant for flying but works 100% for sea sickness.. If you are looking for a great charter captain my first pick would be captain Ron Grave of butcherbuoyy charters out of Erieau.. It is a 6 person charter rate, just gather some guys and go out for a day.. If you want a smaller group give Chuck Irwin of Nature boy Charters out of Erieau a call, I believe he handles smaller groups and is a great guy...

Edited by Thrilla

Quite honestly, the best thing you can do for a five year old is go catch some perch or sunfish. Bring a five-gallon pail and keep one or two fish swimming in the pail so he can play with them. Then let the fish go when you pack up, and go grab some ice cream. After a half-hour most kids will become bored and want to go do something else anyway. Make fishing fun for the kid - don't sentence him to hours in a charter boat where he will likely become bored out of his skull before you even set lines. Or worse yet - seasick.

If you're taking a young kid fishing, you have to make it all about the kid and what he or she wants to do. It has to be fun all the way, or the kid will quickly turn off fishing and never want to try it again. If you have to drug the kid ahead of time by making them take Gravol, then what's the point? Where's the fun in that?

Just go catch some pannies and have a picnic and make it enjoyable. Hopefully you'll also find a garter snake or a frog or a turtle. Keep it simple and the kid will be bugging you to go fishing all the time. By age 9 or 10 you can think about a salmon charter.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Quite honestly, the best thing you can do for a five year old is go catch some perch or sunfish. Bring a five-gallon pail and keep one or two fish swimming in the pail so he can play with them. Then let the fish go when you pack up, and go grab some ice cream. After a half-hour most kids will become bored and want to go do something else anyway. Make fishing fun for the kid - don't sentence him to hours in a charter boat where he will likely become bored out of his skull before you even set lines. Or worse yet - seasick.

If you're taking a young kid fishing, you have to make it all about the kid and what he or she wants to do. It has to be fun all the way, or the kid will quickly turn off fishing and never want to try it again. If you have to drug the kid ahead of time by making them take Gravol, then what's the point? Where's the fun in that?

Just go catch some pannies and have a picnic and make it enjoyable. Hopefully you'll also find a garter snake or a frog or a turtle. Keep it simple and the kid will be bugging you to go fishing all the time. By age 9 or 10 you can think about a salmon charter.

Bang On! I have to agree with everyone of Craigs points here. Save the charters for when he gets a few years older. He'd probably appreciate 'em more in a few years, IMHO.

Did the pan fish thing many times and he loved it. He asked about going out in a "big boat" while we were at the beach the other day. Drugging the kid? Gravol is a precautionary measure so he wont get sick, no different then sun screen to prevent a sun burn. Sentencing him to hours in the boat? if you read my post I was asking for help in locating a charter that may be flexable if we have to return if need be. You can keep the parenting advice.. Sorry your post just rubbed me the wrong way. To those that replied thanks.

Did the pan fish thing many times and he loved it. He asked about going out in a "big boat" while we were at the beach the other day. Drugging the kid? Gravol is a precautionary measure so he wont get sick, no different then sun screen to prevent a sun burn. Sentencing him to hours in the boat? if you read my post I was asking for help in locating a charter that may be flexable if we have to return if need be. You can keep the parenting advice.. Sorry your post just rubbed me the wrong way. To those that replied thanks.

....kinda sounds like having your cake and eating it too!? I'm no charter operator, but a business owner and I'm guessing what you are asking for/looking for/hoping for is likely unreasonable to most charter operators. I'm sure most will do what they can....but book a trip somewhere...they have insurance for "trip cancellation" but that still costs you and the headaches can be tough I'm sure. Good luck with your search. I hope it works out. I too have a 5y/o and know what it is like to want to show him the moon. Cheers.

....kinda sounds like having your cake and eating it too!? I'm no charter operator, but a business owner and I'm guessing what you are asking for/looking for/hoping for is likely unreasonable to most charter operators. I'm sure most will do what they can....but book a trip somewhere...they have insurance for "trip cancellation" but that still costs you and the headaches can be tough I'm sure. Good luck with your search. I hope it works out. I too have a 5y/o and know what it is like to want to show him the moon. Cheers.

I know I am pulling at straws but I thought I would ask. Can't score if you don't shoot :)

I might be off in my suggestion here but does he want to go on a big boat or go fishing on big boat?

If he just wants on a big boat a round trip on the Chi-Cheemaun or Pelee Island Ferry are a great day, kids of that age have a blast and not bringing a vehicle makes it cheap.

As mentioned charters will be tough unless you want to foot the bill.

Dan

I might be off in my suggestion here but does he want to go on a big boat or go fishing on big boat?

If he just wants on a big boat a round trip on the Chi-Cheemaun or Pelee Island Ferry are a great day, kids of that age have a blast and not bringing a vehicle makes it cheap.

As mentioned charters will be tough unless you want to foot the bill.

Dan

He wants to go fishing on a " big boat" and catch " big fish" I guess I should not have told him big boats catch big fish LOL. That sounds like a great idea for the whole family. Thanks.