2 stroke oil for a older Merc suggestions

baironhorse

I have bad habbit of adding an extra couple of oz of oil when mixing! So you guys suggest this is the best stuff out there?

Follow the mixing ratio and it is much better for your engine. Would you overfill the crankcase in your car engine?

Good luck with the engine, those older Mercs are great!

The motor runs great really no issues...but I think its time for a little seafoam...new set of plugs and start using soem really good 2 cycle oil...I thought the shell 2 cycle was good until I did some research on the board...better late then never..any other advise or tips?

Follow the mixing ratio and it is much better for your engine. Would you overfill the crankcase in your car engine?

Good luck with the engine, those older Mercs are great!

I should edit my previous post...when she is cold she idles a little rough but when warmed up she is ok...I do troll alot and run a low speed so I figure it would be a good idea to give it a seafoamin to clean any excess build up and start clean with a quality 2cyc oli..

Then why play with that?? :dunno:

Edited by Ironhorse

I run the oil recommended by the manufacturer in my mariner. I have been for the last 15 yrs. Why do you think you should change oil?? Its much more important to mix it properly, than it is to use more expensive, synthetic oils.

I don't know why people have such a hard time with mixed gas/oil. A 50:1 mix is the same as 1L/20ml. In other words, for each liter of gas, add 20ml of oil. Pretty straight forward math. Why add more oil? I never understood that.

Also, if my motor was oil injected, instead of pre-mix, I would use ALOT less oil in a season. Most times the manufacturers recommended mix is over kill to start with. Adding more is just making more smoke, and polluting the water more......and don't forget how much you paid for that oil!!

S.

Hey i agree with you on two strokes but mobil 1 in my trucks i swear by my 98 Z71 had 400K when i sold it and ran like a champ nothing but mobil and skids of shingles in the bed for years.. I just dont think the synthetic stuff burns well in twosteokes i like a mineral oil... Shell advance in the polaris and in the boats!

For what it is worth I have been running Walmart SuperTech 2 stroke oil in my 1985 Johnson VRO 50hp for at least 10 maybe closer to 15 years and it purrs like a new born outboard....just ask Big Cliff.....he heard/seen my rig when we were up at his place for a week in June.

I was paying $8.95 per gallon but purchased 5 gallons years ago....however, I believe it's $10.95 per gallon now.

I've used the Amsoil "Interceptor" and pardon me for seeming old-fashioned, but I mix my own oil and gas. I have never liked the idea on being 75 km back in the North- Ontario bush and relying on some injection system to insert the correct amount of oil into my motors. I've heard too many horror stories about burnt out engines in the early years of those systems and still don't trust them. I know it's probably hard to find larger 2 stroke engines that don't have these systems on them but I've heard of mechanics telling people to remove their injection system and mix the gas "the old-fashioned" way.

Here's one reason... synthetics do a VERY lousy job of holding contaminants in suspension.

For all the rest.. hit the advanced search icon.. type in the word Synthetic.. under author.. type irishfield.... click the "posts only spot"... hit enter.. oh, grab a few beverages first... you're gonna be reading for a long while.

Edited by irishfield