I Never Put The Two Together....Until Recently

In my younger days after finishing school (mid 80's to early 90's) I lived for a while on Cecil Street in Toronto (Spadina and College) chasing the dream. While living there my housemates and friends turned me onto the blues scene of Toronto. We would hang out at clubs like Grossman's, Chicago's, ElMo, Horseshoe....lots to choose from and I will spare you the long list. During that time I saw many great blues bands....did I mention I love the blues....my screen name should be a clue. Anyway, one of the artists that we got to know real well in our time was Morgan Davis. Great bluesman, and a helluva nice guy...used to hang around after the set and talk about....fishing...it was a great memory...for me anyway.

So here's an interesting twist that I am sure some of you were already aware of. I bought a cottage last year and amongst all the things I inherited from the old owner was a stack of Ontario Out of Doors magazines that date back from the late seventies, right through all of the eighties and some of the early nineties. My 11 year old son is really hooked on bass fishing right now so he sifts through all the mags and pulls out a bunch that have articles on bass and starts reading them. While showing me something in an article I look at the author byline, written by Morgan Davis. I looked through a number of the mags from the early 80's and see a few articles that were written by Morgan.

I knew that during his early career he would travel northern Ontario and spend time fishing when he wasn't playing but didn't realize that he wrote articles for OOD. He never did mention that when we would talk after his shows. Or maybe he did and I just didn't put the two together....until recently.

I've been a blues fan since 1966, first blues album, the John Mayall " Beano " album featuring Eric Clapton on guitar, second was a Butterfield Blues Band. Your name gave you away as an obvious Howlin Wolf fan. Friend of mine used to guide fly fishing on the Grand River in the 90's, clients would book through a shop and the shop would contact him. He also played guitar as a hobby and is my age. So the shop calls him asking him if he is available for a certain date, unfortunately he had to work and turned it down and one of the other guides took it. Wouldn't you know he just turned down the chance to guide Eric Clapton flyfishing on the Grand for browns he finds out later :wallbash: I got the autobiography that Eric wrote of few years ago for Christmas, told you I'm a blues fan :whistling: at one time he was heavily into flyfishing and also had an estate in England and went bird shooting too with the upper class gentry over there. Guess there's a reason we like blues artists.