Lost my hero

Nipfisher

After posting last night on Wiser's thread about my grandpa living out his last days...he died peacefully in his sleep at 2am this morning. He was 97 years old.

Earl Rupert Duffield born March 25, 1914 - Not an ordinary Grandpa. My mother left my father in 1980 taking us 3 boys with her from B.C. to Kirkland Lake, Ontario. My Grandpa immediately stepped up and took on the "fathering role" He taught my little brother how to ride a bike the 1st summer we were there. He taght us all how to hunt, fish, drive, and how to be a man. Not sure how many hockey skates he tied lol. He NEVER drank or smoked a day in his life. He was a tough man that didn't complain. I have only seen him cry once, when my Grandma died 5 years ago. He continued to live independantly, drive, and joined his hunting group every fall until he was 95. He landed my P.B. walleye (9 lbs.) without a net and I will never forget that day. I have a great picture I will scan and post later.

Just wanted to share with you all. I will celebrate his life and miss him every single day.

Mercman, My boat will will have E.R.D. 97 added on with vinyl graphics as soon as I am back in town.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. He sounds like an excellent role model, and I'm glad you got to spend that time with someone so respectable. I'm really sorry for your loss.

I lost my grandma last year, the sweetest lady I've ever known. The sting of losing her was amplified by my family deciding that her birthday was most certainly not an appropriate day to hold her funeral. Instead, they held it on MY birthday. I couldn't even stay for the whole thing because I had scheduled my G driving test for my birthday, figuring, there's no way that if she passed on, that my family would put it on my birthday. Oh how wrong I was. I don't think she would have been impressed with them. But anyhow, it sucks when we lose true gems.

What a wonderful tribute! The legacy he left behind is in you and your brothers and I am sure will be carried on through your children and their children's children. While he may be gone the things he did will have an effect for ever. Keep him in your heart, I have a feeling he'd like it there!

God Bless!

My Dear friend,

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and your familly. Your Grandfather sounds alot like my Dad.An outdoorsman who passed his curiosity and love of the outdoors with us kids.

You will forever be reminded of the good times you had, everytime you put your boat on the water.Everytime i am in my boat, the D.R. White, dad and i are reunited.

So will you and your Grandpa, Friend.Gonefishing.gif Long Live the E.R.D.97 !!thumbsup_anim.gif

Peace

Paul

Thx for sharing that.

ERD 97 graphics on the boat is a fine way to remember someone who meant so much to you and your family. I'm sure he would appreciate being in your thoughts everytime you headed out on the water.

Sounds like heaven got another good one.

My condolences to you and yours.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Condolences on your loss. He was obviously a man of great stature - (height is measured in inches; stature is measured by how others percieve us). As others have said - From what you have shared I do not think he would want you to mourn his passing, but rather celebrate his life.