Tried poormans lobster way

lplp

Saw on a fishing show (going fishing) and they cooked up some fish simple.. So i tried it with the walleye i caught on weekend ,Cut into small chunks ,in a boiling water with a teaspoon of salt and sugar add the chunks in and let boil.. just for a few minutes until white. make up some butter and garlic dip and you have poor mans lobster.. It sure did turn out better than i thought and will do again .Give it a try and you will be suprised..

lplp, good on you for trying something different. If you enjoyed it, it was hardly a waste. There may be other species which may taste just as good prepared like that, but hey, it's your fish enjoy it as you please! thumbsup_anim.gif

What I meant was walleye are a nice light white meat fish that could of been enjoyed better.IMO

That's the way a neighbour used to do pike when we had a place on Hay Bay. It is pretty good with the butter sauce and especially when others take the time to clean them.

Much better eating pike than cleaning them

You wasted a walleye.

But glad you enjoyed it. Try doing it with fresh water drum.Thats a poormans lobster.

X2

An old guy I new years ago, used to use sheephead.

Big pot of water and a cup of salt. Drop cut strips of the fillet in as soon as it turned white scooped out and on ice then dip in shrimp sauce.

Myself I just love catching Drum, not eating.

Shut-up Chris Spiel :D

I'm pretty sure the 'Poor Man's Lobster' is LING. Something about the flesh being like lobster. I don't think it's just about boiling it with the butter.

Or maybe it is... dunno.gif

Not sure... I've never cooked a Ling. Is their flesh/taste like Lobster?

But I bet that Walleye was good though!

Cheers

smile.gif

Edited by RyanT

I'm pretty sure the 'Poor Man's Lobster' is LING. Something about the flesh being like lobster. I don't think it's just about boiling it with the butter.

Or maybe it is... dunno.gif

Not sure... I've never cooked a Ling. Is their flesh/taste like Lobster?

But I bet that Walleye was good though!

Cheers

smile.gif

Ling is good boiled and dipped in butter. I actually microwaved it in a shallow bowl of water when I didn't have a stove. Now THAT is poor man's diining!

Our poormans lobster consist of lobster dainties. I dunno if they are actually just baby lobster or what they are lol. They are about the size of shrimp, or big crayfish. But they call em lobster dainties here at the local clambar. They taste like lobster, and they're cheap. Lotta work however lol.

Hmm, I may try this with pike. I love my fried bass fillets (oil, pepper, seasoning salt.. mmm, simple) too much to "waste" one. And I rarely go after and catch walleye right now (love them equally to, or maybe a bit more than bass).

Fast boiling small pieces of any fish is great. Trick is don't over boil, as soon as it turns opaque its done (couple of minutes or so). I like seafood sauce/shrimp sauce to dip it in. Showed a friend who was trying to lose weight how to do it and its the only way he eats fish now, only calories are in how much butter or sauce you use. It does taste like lobster or shrimp if you close your eyes and try hard enough.............

I don't even waste my lobster in garlic butter. And yes "poor man's lobster" is a term originally coined for ling. There's nothing wrong with garlic butter unless you actually want to taste whats soaking in it. Is there anyone alive who has actually tasted escargots? Chicken wings were the last thing you ever ate on a chicken years ago (that's assuming anyone even kept them). Now everyone is eating them but garlic butter doesn't cut it for wings. For wings you need suicide sauce. Kids won't eat cereal anymore unless it's 95% sugar and comes in fluorescent colours. Folks will eat whatever is put in front of them as long as it looks presentable and tastes like something that they'd rather eat. Remember: It tastes just like chicken. :)

Folks will eat whatever is put in front of them as long as it looks presentable and tastes like something that they'd rather eat. Remember: It tastes just like chicken. smile.gif

mellow.gif .....so......what we having for dinner again????blink.gif

I always liked to cook Pike that way (or whatever species we had)and then chill it like Fish Farmer says. Served with seafood sauce is great. My kids would devour the whole bowl done that way. I think it is probably one of teh healthiest ways to cook fish too. It is cooked in heavy salt water, but that gets rinsed off at the end before chilling.

I tried some channel Cat cooked that way this spring. It was pretty good. I have cooked perch a similar way and it was nice too. Take a perch filet and put it on a small plate, ad a small dab of butter on it, sprinkle some garlic powder and parsley on it and microwave it for around a minute. A quick easy way to enjoy perch.

Saw on a fishing show (going fishing) and they cooked up some fish simple.. So i tried it with the walleye i caught on weekend ,Cut into small chunks ,in a boiling water with a teaspoon of salt and sugar add the chunks in and let boil.. just for a few minutes until white. make up some butter and garlic dip and you have poor mans lobster.. It sure did turn out better than i thought and will do again .Give it a try and you will be suprised..

In my circle, this is poor mans lobster. I'm not a fan but my dad liked it so we would make it for him. Only thing I have to add is adding dijon mustard to the butter sauce. Gives it a little more twang.