Are lake trout good fried?

10point

Depends where they are coming from.

If it came from any of the Great Lakes I would say "NO" as they are way to greasy.

If it came from any lake near me in the NWT I would say "Hell Yeah!!!!" :lol:

The trout up here are damn fine when fried. ;)

All mine are from Lake Michigan

Smoked trout/char is my favourite. Takes a lot of work but it's worth it.

Easiest way to cook would be to cut into steaks and grill in the oven (400 degrees for 10 minutes) with a little lemon, salt and pepper. Make sure you remove the belly fat.

As Drifter notes, lakers are comparatively oily fish, so they are best when grilled, broiled, smoked or prepared any other way that allows the grease to run off. They're not the best choice for frying or deep frying.

Ever try them on the BBQ on a cedar plank? Go buy a cedar plank at the grocery store (or use a one-eighth to one-quarter inch thick red cedar plank) that's been pre-soaked in water for several hours. Set the BBQ to medium heat (400 degrees), rub a little olive oil on the top side of the plank, and lay the fillet on it skin side down. Put it on the grill, then baste with this glaze: one-half cup of pure maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima or synthetic junk like that) mixed with three tablespoons of Soy Sauce and a teaspoon of minced garlic. Pour it on and give the fish approx 15 minutes. Test for doneness by twisting a fork in it - if it flakes easily, it's done.

It's really a salmon recipe, but it works great with lake trout as well. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and some steamed green beans or carrots. Beer works, or a chilled white wine (Riesling, in particular) is even better.

You can also prepare this in the oven, but be advised it's pretty messy.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Smoked trout/char is my favourite. Takes a lot of work but it's worth it.

Easiest way to cook would be to cut into steaks and grill in the oven (400 degrees for 10 minutes) with a little lemon, salt and pepper. Make sure you remove the belly fat.

Easiest way to cook a greasy laker is to drop the ugly freak back in the lake hahaha

Not surprising you're getting lots of different answers on this one. I've had deep fried Lake Trout that was both the best and the worst fish that I've ever eaten. Quality of the fish (what forage base the lake has) is the key, and determines how fatty the fish are. Lake Superior smelt eaters are the worst I've had. I used to fish Dryberry Lake, just south of Kenora, and the shore lunch Lakers from there were fit for a king. I'm not sure what the forage base was there (certainly not smelts) but the meat on those fish were bright orange and there wasn't an ounce of fat on them.

Not surprising you're getting lots of different answers on this one. I've had deep fried Lake Trout that was both the best and the worst fish that I've ever eaten. Quality of the fish (what forage base the lake has) is the key, and determines how fatty the fish are. Lake Superior smelt eaters are the worst I've had. I used to fish Dryberry Lake, just south of Kenora, and the shore lunch Lakers from there were fit for a king. I'm not sure what the forage base was there (certainly not smelts) but the meat on those fish were bright orange and there wasn't an ounce of fat on them.

I agree I'v eat'en laker from hell, but I have also had laker prepared ok from the great lakes.but like Dan has said if you had Lakers from there natural enviroment forgetabout it.....it is what is

If that L.Trout is from Lake O, I don't think the dump wants them because their contaminated waste. The only thing I'd eat from Lake O would be a "SMALL" Coho, Rainbow or Atlantic and then in moderation.

A Lake Trout that big belongs back in the lake or if dead,Raccoon food. Fun to catch, nice fish. Keep the small ones, safer for you. Eat if you must, but I have a few friends that are Great Lakes Biologist's, and believe me, they wouldn't touch them.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i enjoy lakers from smaller inland lakes up to about 3lbs. anything bigger than that and i don't like the flavour (or the contamination).

I just noticed, was that a charter you were on? Lots of times they want to get you a fish so you don't go back to shore empty. The bottom of Lake O is covered with them like Gobies in curtain spots. Draging a lure and ball on the bottom will produce big #'s.

Still a nice fish to catch and have fun.

I know someone who fries his Lake Trout and says it's good. They're only about 5lbs though from a small Quebec lake... not beasts like in that pic.

I would never do it though... trout tastes great and it seems like a waste to fry it. Like it would overpower the great taste of trout.

I just noticed, was that a charter you were on? Lots of times they want to get you a fish so you don't go back to shore empty. The bottom of Lake O is covered with them like Gobies in curtain spots. Draging a lure and ball on the bottom will produce big #'s.

Still a nice fish to catch and have fun.

Yes, it was a charter on Lake Michigan. We didn't go back empty!

LakeMIFishing096.jpg

Edited by 10point

Lake Trout are long-lived, slow growing fish that really concentrate environmental contaminants such as PCBs and Methyl Mercury. You might serious want to think twice about eating any of those fish pictured with the exception of the smallest ones.

Here is Indiana's guide to eating fish - see page 40 for Lake Michigan...they do not recommend eating ANY Lake Trout over 27" and only a limited amount of fish under that length.

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/2010_FCA.pdf

Lake Trout are long-lived, slow growing fish that really concentrate environmental contaminants such as PCBs and Methyl Mercury. You might serious want to think twice about eating any of those fish pictured with the exception of the smallest ones.

Here is Indiana's guide to eating fish - see page 40 for Lake Michigan...they do not recommend eating ANY Lake Trout over 27" and only a limited amount of fish under that length.

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/2010_FCA.pdf

Thanks for the info and for ruining my day. Of course our captain told us they were all fine up to 30 lbs or something.