rapala lure quality issues

mike rousseau

so yesterday for the second time this year ive had a rapala taildancer fall apart on me...

the lip is coming right out of the lure... and thats where your line connects to the lure!!! so luckily it happend in the boat with a shaking walleye and not in the water with a big trophy... id be pretty mad if my rod loaded up and went slack... then after reeling in i see nothing but a lure lip...

for 12 bucks a pop i expect better from a large seasoned company such as rapala...

anybody else have these issues?

I had the same issue with a taildancer but mine was on the back end off the bait. The wire loop that holds the hook broke the body and twisted the hook sideways. Not very impressed for the money you have to pay for the lure. My buddy had issues with the DT series with the lip coming out just like you've described. Happened to him on a few different lures. Is there a warranty issue or a way of getting a new lure from rapala if we complain? Shot in the dark I guess. I just used some epoxy to glue the hook back. I'll see if it holds the next time I get a fish on. Would be a shame to lose a nice fish or any fish because the lure broke.

Edited by LD17

I've owned many Rapala lures over the years (at one point, it was just those and Williams in my tackle box - I've broadened my horizons since then), and had one or two's lips bust in half, but never had one pull out of the body. I've lost many more due to hard snags than ever broken. I'd definitely contact them and see what they say if it's fairly new.

Edit: oh yeah, I did have a treble hook break in half while trying to get the hook out of my net - that was kinda odd, but hardly a real issue.

Edited by Dana

so yesterday for the second time this year ive had a rapala taildancer fall apart on me...

the lip is coming right out of the lure... and thats where your line connects to the lure!!! so luckily it happend in the boat with a shaking walleye and not in the water with a big trophy... id be pretty mad if my rod loaded up and went slack... then after reeling in i see nothing but a lure lip...

for 12 bucks a pop i expect better from a large seasoned company such as rapala...

anybody else have these issues?

I've been having similar issues. Not just the plastic lip coming out, but snapping off during a cast. This past week I decided to give Live Target lures a try instead. I have to say that the quality on Live Target seems to be much better than Rapala. Granted, I only used it for a week (before I lost it...my fault..not the lure) but the general feel/colouring the lure was excellent.

not Rapala but I had 2 chrome Big-O's fall apart on me. Last year, the paint chipped off, and this year, after only one fish (smallie - 1 lb) the back oring & treble hook broke off.

I wonder if we get in touch with the customer service departments and email them some pictures if they will send new lures.

I probably have 25 - 30 Rapala's and never had a problem with any of them......BUT their older ones....newest would be 10 or 15 years old.

Bob

Probably like everything else in fishing... Make a name for yourself and then sell the name... Not the quality that built the name

I am having ongoing issues with x-raps losing eyes and also cracking and filling with water. Been buying Rap's for 20 years and never had problems in the past.

I would boycott them if those slash baits weren't so freaking awesome for pike in a few of my favorite spots...

They are mass produced some will slip through that aren't up to spec send em back and they will replace them it's a PITA but if you want hand made body baits your gonna pay 2x's what a rap costs and they will still break out of a lot of raps that I have I have only 3-4 that have failed but I have lots that have never been used :whistling: The LT do seem to be tough but time will tell.