July 31st Bassin Report

ccmtcanada

Fishnsled and I hit the waters again this past Sunday. The weather was perfect...even though they were calling for rain and thunder. On the drive up, I checked the radar and it looked like we were in for a soaking around 9am. The clouds were getting thicker and darker as we approached the launch. We launched around 7am...clouds above and almost hoped for a storm...maybe the fishing would turn on as it approached.

About a half hour in, with Fishnsled and I going for bass, I spied some waters that looked great for muskie, so I tossed a few bigger lures in the water. Suddenly I felt the hit! Set the hook and I tell him that I have a nice sized fish on! It took off straight away from the boat...my drag screaming...and then....nothing. DAMN! Didn't even get a chance to see it....

We got a phone call from home around 9am...saying that horrendous thunderstorms were moving through. We looked up in the sky and the clouds were breaking. A quick check at the radar again and it seems the storms weakened where we were and went south of the lake. The sun soon came out and it was blistering hot!

We didn't catch a lot of fish, but we caught a few...

IMG-20110731-00038.jpg

IMG-20110731-00039.jpg

Will said "take a look at how fat this looks!!!"

IMG-20110731-00041.jpg

He walked right into it...of course I said "What? You or the fish????"

IMG-20110731-00042.jpg

IMG-20110731-00043.jpg

The weather cooperated and although it got hot in the afternoon, and the deerflies were horrendous it was still a great day on the water. Wont be long before we start searching for those fall muskies!

I'm leaving for the Edmonton area on Thursday for a week...fishing charter for huge pike is set up...hope to have a nice report upon my return!

Edited by ccmt

I miss working the thick stuff ... gotta take time off carping this coming weekend to go for some green fish :P

Nice work guys!

Thanks guys for the replies! And Victor...I haven't fished for carp at all this year! Maybe I should try that for a change of pace again!