Big Mid Summer Walleye

rufus

Went fishing early Thursday morning - which means 9:00 am - Hey! I need my beauty sleep! First fish was a nice 26 inch walleye (see the short video). I caught a number of eaters after that but when I lost my lure and broke my rod I called it quits. I attempted to get back out in the evening but instead ended up rescuing two different groups of American boaters both of whom had run out of gas. What are the odds of that? The second group apologized for keeping me from fishing but I told them not to worry as I was still feeling good over the first fish of the day!

<center>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FSHI1bqeIQo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

</center>

Edited by NWO Fishing

Awesome NWO Fishing :thumbsup_anim: That's a real beautiful specimen B)

I notice you are always position in the back of your boat on your videos.... are you trolling or just drifting and keeping position on your vertical presentation? I couldn't hear what you were saying with all that wind hitting the microphone on your cam.

Leechman

Thanks guys!

I am positioned at the back of the boat because I don't have a sonar at the front. I operate the trolling motor from the back (long cord) and can see the sonar on the dash from there. I am generally trolling from .75 to 1.5 mph and I was working the lure along the bottom in 35 feet of water.

I am not vertical and often end up with an angle greater than 45 degrees just because of depth changes, current, wind etc. - seems I am usually letting out more line.

The back seat of my boat folds down to become a platform so the back works just as well as the front.

Thanks guys!

I am positioned at the back of the boat because I don't have a sonar at the front. I operate the trolling motor from the back (long cord) and can see the sonar on the dash from there. I am generally trolling from .75 to 1.5 mph and I was working the lure along the bottom in 35 feet of water.

I am not vertical and often end up with an angle greater than 45 degrees just because of depth changes, current, wind etc. - seems I am usually letting out more line.

The back seat of my boat folds down to become a platform so the back works just as well as the front.

Thanks for the reply NWO Fishing :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you have them eyes dialed in with this technique B)

Appreciate the details in your reply :good:

I might add that I don't usually see fish on the sonar before I catch them.

I am using the sonar more to see what the bottom looks like and perhaps see if there are baitfish in the area. Some say one should drive around the lake and not stop to fish until fish are spotted on the sonar. If I did that I would miss more fish than I catch. I don't let the fact that there are no fish under the boat deter me from dropping a line.

I was working the lure along the bottom with a 3 oz weight. The depths in the area ranged from 50+ feet to a very rocky 15 feet and the 35 foot level where this fish was caught was a plateau. It could be considered a mid lake hump as it was not close to shore.