Little Redstone Lake - Fish (Surprise)

hutch4113

I had seen a few posts RE: Redstone and Little Redstone. These mostly related to trout fishing, but from past experience, I knew there were small mouth, which I prefer to fish for.

Anyway, was not disappointed. Caught several Small Mouth (and lost several Small Mouth, due to lack of a net). Pretty sure I had 4 pounder on, and at least saw it...but lost it (I know, I know...fish story).

Finally caught a landed a nice 3 pound smallie on the last day (Picture not the best...self portrait :whistling: ):

008.jpg

However the reason for the surprise in the title. Searching for the species on this lake was difficult to say the least. All I could really find is Lake Trout, different kinds of pan fish, and SM.

On Thursday Night was out fishing, about 100 feet from the dock, when I had a rather larger than expected hit. It was enough to take out the drag, and my immediate thought.....wow...a large Smallie. Since we did not have a net, had my fishing partner (and Brother in law) prepped to grab it as I brought it beside the boat.

For some reason though...he didn't want to once he saw it:

004.jpg

Came it at about 3 pounds.

The really funny thing is I caught all my really good fish, in pretty much the same spot. About 100 feet off shore, by the cottage next door's swimming platform. To this list, I also caught a nice brook trout...unfortunately did not have the camera.

Best cottage/fishing ever. Considering that it is usually cottaging first...and if I feel like it...fishing second.

One question. I am wondering if I should let MNR know about the Walleye, as I don't think they have them listed as a species native to either Redstone lake (Hence my surprise).

Nice report !!! Judging by the size of the walleye, he has been in that lake for a couple of years. Unless there is a river or stream leading into the lake,and he somehow wandered in, you may have a healthy population of them in there. Which would be nice, right?Gonefishing.gif

Nice walleye! It looks bigger than 3lbs to me, but I'm not a good judge of weight yet.

The Fish ON-Line site is really inaccurate. They list no smallmouth bass in several lakes in each of which I have caught several smallmouth bass.

The really funny thing is I caught all my really good fish, in pretty much the same spot. About 100 feet off shore, by the cottage next door's swimming platform. To this list, I also caught a nice brook trout...unfortunately did not have the camera.

Wow Adam, you weren't kidding about a surprise! Did you get one that big on the Attawapiskat?

My guess, especially considering you caught a brook trout as well, you stumbled onto a spring hole. Don't tell anyone. ;)

Wow Adam, you weren't kidding about a surprise! Did you get one that big on the Attawapiskat?

My guess, especially considering you caught a brook trout as well, you stumbled onto a spring hole. Don't tell anyone. ;)

I caught a bigger one up in Attawapiskat. Doug and I did not weigh it, but think it was 22 inches, and had a pretty good belly.

What really impressed me about this one (Redstone) was the colouring. The picture does not do it justice...it was a really nice/healthy looking fish.