Family Trip To A North Of Nakina Walleye Factory

solopaddler

I know it may be heresy to suggest this here but man, I might have gotten tired of hauling walleyes into the boat at the rate you guys were hooking them :)

Sounded like a great trip for your kids, especially having the time to spend with their grandfather doing something they all loved. Kinda jealous and actually had to pull out the road guide to see how long a drive it is from the GTA lol

Mike...

probably the most inspiring report you've ever done. AND, you've done a tonne of inspiring reports.

I was quite looking forward to this. You wanna add me and my daughters some time, that'd be wicked.

That lake though... does it not have lakers and specks accessible too? Man, it's a winner already but even better if it has those opps as well.

Thanks for this one!

That is one heck of a report. The smiles just say it all and tell you everyone had a fantastic time. This will be a trip I'll be looking into for my buddy and his boys. I might have to tag along as another boat driver of course. B)

Thanks for taking the time and putting this together. Could be your best report thus far but it's difficult to say as they are always awesome. :good:

I know it may be heresy to suggest this here but man, I might have gotten tired of hauling walleyes into the boat at the rate you guys were hooking them :)

Hmm.. I think for me personally, the opposite might happen: if I had this experience, it might soil my "regular" fishing experience of getting one fish to maybe a handful... Or maybe I'd be perfectly fine going back to "normal." I dunno.

Solo:

Thanks for sharing...love your reports. I know the feeling of taking your kids and your Dad on a trip North, as I have done it many times. 3 generations in one boat is pretty special. Whether the fishing is good or bad, the memories and the stories are irreplacable.

Couple of comments/questions. The link to the website did not work for some reason. Also, was there a shower in that camp? Didn't look like there was one.....thanks again.

Thanks everyone, such kind words. Glad you enjoyed!

Mike, you're right Brendan DOES hold the rod like a champ!!! lol!! Great report man!

I'm equally proud of both of my kids, but the way Brendan handled his rod and fished intensely all day long at the age of 4, well it almost brought a tear to my eye. :)

If I wasn't itching to get up north with the family in four weeks like you wouldn't believe already...now I'm literally chomping at the bit, lol!!! I don't expect fishing near that great at Happy Day, but, I'm sure the family moments will be special.

Frank I can feel your anticipation. I'm really looking forward to both of your trip reports next month!

A couple things. The Stop that you made just past Aroland I'm pretty sure we got gas there after we did the Kowkash was there a big yellow Mastiff there? Did you get up into the Kowkash at all? It flows into and out of the Aba in the SE part of the lake. And on a light note your daughters FISH ON was crowded steelheader water worthy. Those memories for all 3 generations are worth more than all the money in the world.

Didn't see any mastiffs bud, that's definitely the same place you stopped (it's the only place LOL!)

The river was very low, completely impossible to navigate upstream very far at all from the lake. Same scenario for the outflow of the river.

Fishing the delta area out in front of the rivermouth was not unexpectedly a very productive spot for us. But then everywhere on that lake was good...

Not heresy at all! If the kids weren't there I'd have done other things like troll for pike or some deep jigging for lakers.

It definitely got a bit repetetive. The kids loved it though, it kept their interest up and it was exactly what I had hoped for.

Mike...

probably the most inspiring report you've ever done. AND, you've done a tonne of inspiring reports.

I was quite looking forward to this. You wanna add me and my daughters some time, that'd be wicked.

That lake though... does it not have lakers and specks accessible too? Man, it's a winner already but even better if it has those opps as well.

Thanks for this one!

You know what buddy a combined trip where we go together isn't a bad idea at all! There's definitely enough room at the camp and I know the kids would enjoy the trip even more with other kids along.. Something to talk about for sure.

Aba does have lakers. Interstingly enough all the deep water is in the N/E arm right in front of Howards cabin. The fish I marked in a couple of the holes was just unreal.

I did try. Man did I try! Didn't get any though...Don't know what to say. They're definitely their though!

Brookies are supposedly in the Kowkash river that flows in and out of the lake.

That's where you'd get them and undoubtedly only in the spring when the water is still high and cool and the river is still accessable.

Once early to mid June rolls around don't think you'd be catching any specs.

Edited by solopaddler

Couple of comments/questions. The link to the website did not work for some reason. Also, was there a shower in that camp? Didn't look like there was one.....thanks again.

It's osullivanlakeoutfitters.com http://www.osullivanlakeoutfitters.com/

Unfortunately no, there was no shower. In the summer months it's a not much of an issue imo with a beach right out in front.

Still a couple of evenings I was missing one. Ironically enough I have a small portable shower that's made by Zodi. The tiny on demand heater runs on propane. The water pump normally connects to a 12V battery. I wired an AC power converter and a plug to the pump so I could plug it directly into a generator which Howard has at the camp.

I SHOULD have brought it, it would've been perfect!

Next time for sure.

For what its worth with all the sun we had even a couple of those solar shower bags would've worked great.

Just fill with water and hang them from a tre...

With you helping us discover all of these new places, what can I say. Thank you, that's another wonderful report.

You're most welcome Roy. :)

Another great report and write up there Mike. :Gonefishing:

Many, many thanks for bringing us along vicariously with the vids etc...

I like the comments from your kids and dad in the videos, makes the whole thing so much fun on top of the incredible fishing.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Had a great time with my dad and opa, I caught the biggest fish.clapping.gif

Can't wait to go again next month!

I didn't realize Riley had posted this reply 'till this morning. She's getting pretty computer savvy.

I hadn't mentioned that she'd caught the biggest fish, but yeah she did, a 32" pike.

That's my girl. :)

Had a great time with my dad and opa, I caught the biggest fish.clapping.gif

Can't wait to go again next month!

Did your Dad mention that big fish gets twenty dollars? It's great to see a young person take to fishing so enthusiastically. Oh and I was up there in June and you woulda kicked my but as well.

Brookies are supposedly in the Kowkash river that flows in and out of the lake.

That's where you'd get them and undoubtedly only in the spring when the water is still high and cool and the river is still accessable.

Once early to mid June rolls around don't think you'd be catching any specs.

We were there from the 5th till the 13th of June this year and it was still just early. Water was still high and muddy and the stoneflys hadn't really started yet. Talked to my friend up there a couple weeks later after he finished his trip down the river and he said they were coming on strong. So I'm guessing mid june is perfect timing for the river.

Here's a couple of Kowkash fish

kow.jpg

Edited by Musky or Specks