Need some help from the carp guys

Bondar

Hey guys i'm looking to buy my First baitrunner but I know nothing about these reels , i'd like a reel that is going to last me a while and has a smooth drag but isnt going to cost me to much , I'll likely use this thing twice a year and probably in some water that can have current so i'd also need an idea on the size of reel to purchase ! i'm looking at spending $100-$150

I'm not looking for a debate on which reel is better just a few opinions from the seasoned carp anglers on what they themselves would go to is this case !

thanks for any help in advance

Jeff

Stephen (iCarp) of New World Carp had some reels on sale recently that were fairly inexpensive...have a look at his site...he has a good supply of carp goodies...and gives prompt delivery unless you are near Hamilton then pay him a visit...

If you can stretch the budget, go Shimano - I have 18 year old Baitrunners that have landed more fish than I can remember, been used in salt and freshwater and haven't missed a beat - all without a service.

That said Daiwa also make decent kit - this is worth a look http://newworldcarp.com/osc/daiwa-regal-z-br-reel-p-720.html looks like the 4000 is smaller bodied and the 4500 and 5000 are the same body with different spools. Size depends on how far you need to cast and what line you need to use - I'd go 4500 so you get the possibility to put a bigger sppol on it if you find you need it.

If you have a good sized rear drag reel, you can leave the bail arm closed, turn the drag right down and when you get a fish give the drag a twist (which takes as long as disengaging the baitrunner by turning the handle and hit it. If you're really going to be using it twice a year - that would work just as well.

Edited by cuzza

the general consensus is that the okuma reels are faulty sometimes. Have never owned one myself though.

You can't really go wrong with Daiwa/Shimano. I have a Daiwa BR5000 and a Shimano 4500B myself and I'm happy with both reels. Should last me forever ... I hope not :whistling:

I can tell you what I have and what I like, but it's very hard to get them in Canada so...

I second the opinions from the above. Shimano and Daiwa are all good. Get one that can take 300+m of line just to look good, the thing is, depending on where you fish, you won't need more than 150m of line if you fish twice a year. The new thunnus are very nice if you can add a bit more to your budget.

Hey Jeff

My first was an Okuma Epixor - did not last 2 trips, not worth the $. Went right to the Shimano 4000D and it is a tank. Great drag system and powerful. Only issue I have now is that after a full season in and around western Lake Ontario I now fully understand why the good carp anglers have the big reels. Spooled once last year in Hamilton and once this year at Port Credit. I run 30 lb braid and only get about 150-160 yds on it. Hooked into one the size of a small barnyard animal on the upstream side of lakeshore bridge and it decided to swim out to the lighthouse.

I've been seeing the Penn Line Liners showing up on a few very respected guys and they love them. Not sure but I think they picked them up on the web.