keep or release

Hello Everyone

I was fishing in Scugog today, and luckily i got 4 bass, 3 of them about 1-2 lb, and 1 is about 3 lbs, I only keep the 3 lbs one,

when i get back to the dock, a guy see me holding the fish, and he told me that I should release the bigger one and not the smallers

the reason he said is the 3lb or above is female, should be release and let them lay eggs, so the lake will have more fish...

But my theory is if I release the small one(1-2lb), they still have a chance to grow and mate, and the bigger one will just eat more fish for growing bigger.

what do u think? or what should i do , cos i also want to keep the lake healthy (more fish and more balance of the lake)

and what will you keep or release

thanks

well the guy is right..

very few smaller fish live to become a 3lber

and smaller ones have far less toxins in them

if the guy was casually chatting with you..great info

but if he came up to you and told you...it's no of his business ..you are 100% within your rights to keep the big ones

If you're really interested in helping keep the fishery healthy you should let the big ones go.

Your theory is not correct as most small fish will not grow to be that size. It's just like people, not everyone can grow to be 6 foot 4. Genetics play a key role in determining how large a fish can grow. And it's in the best interest of the fishery to keep those big fish and their genetics in the lake.

Think of it this way; next time you spend your time and money to go fishing do you want to catch 3 lb bass or 1 lb bass.

Also as Terry mentioned larger fish have more toxins built up in their meat, so it's better for your health the eat a smaller fish as well.

As said before the bigger the bass the more likely that there offspring will be of a bigger size, also the 1 to 2 pounders are better to eat for taste and health reason.

But all in all the guy should really mind his own business, you didn't do anything wrong so don't worry.

And welcome to the board.

If you're really interested in helping keep the fishery healthy you should let the big ones go.

Your theory is not correct as most small fish will not grow to be that size. It's just like people, not everyone can grow to be 6 foot 4. Genetics play a key role in determining how large a fish can grow. And it's in the best interest of the fishery to keep those big fish and their genetics in the lake.

Think of it this way; next time you spend your time and money to go fishing do you want to catch 3 lb bass or 1 lb bass.

Also as Terry mentioned larger fish have more toxins built up in their meat, so it's better for your health the eat a smaller fish as well.

If genetics play the roll as you state (which I do believe); then a fish that is genetically small, does not necessarily mean that it is a young fish or have any less toxins then a larger fish of the same age and species.

The percentage of toxins, calculating in their different weights, would likely be the same.

Yes if you consume larger fish, you will be eating more toxins; but that’s because there’s more fish to eat.

Dan.

I look at it this way the 1-2 lbers taste great, the 3+lbers not so much, so for me the 1-2 are my eaters if I want a meal.In most populations there are alot of 1-2 lb fish but as you get to the 3+ and into the trophy sizes the numbers reduce drasticly.To each his own , but next time out keep a few 1 lbers for the dinner table and you will soon be letting the bigger ones go.

If you want to keep it and its within your limit then keep it. As long as your putting some thought into it and your within your limit go ahead.

What is better? keeping 4 small fish or 1 large fish? The genetic makeup of the larger fish has allowed it to reach its size. however at 3 pounds your not exactly taking the cream of the crop.

For me personally, I don't keep any bass, musky or pike as they are considered to be catch an release fish by many as they are prized by sport anglers.

Walleye, pan fish, white fish and smaller trout are keepers within the various slot sizes imo.

Thanks everyone for the friendly reply.

so I think its better to keep the 1-2 lbers for eating or the lake

and maybe this is the last 3 lber that I will take, here is the fish...

one more thing is the guy just casually talking to me, nothing rude.

and he is right, she is a female

IMG_1319s.JPG

Thank you