Rapala Trolls to 20 with a Dipsey

Jds63

Renting a cottage up north next week and was planning to try my hand at some mid summer laker fishing. I am planning to use a Magnum Dipsey diver setup with a Rapala Trolls to 20.

http://www.rapala.com/products/lures/trolls-to-minnow/

I would assume that whatever depth i go down with my dipsey the Rapala will drop another 20 ft. I have not used this before as usually its a williams or some other spoon. Since its mid summer I thought i might try this Rapala and see what results i get before switching back to a traditional spoon presentation.

Anyone use this lure with a Dipsey ? I have the Chrome minnow pattern, any other hot colors recommended ?

Thanks

the way a dipsy works is you attach a 5-6' lead to the end of it (to the lure). it does the work of diving. so no, you lure would not dive an extra anything. you'd have to have an 80' lead off the dipsy to achieve what you're trying to do.. impractical and likely impossible.

Edited by Raf

Raf is right on. There is a product out there called a slide diver and is available in various sizes. The concept is you thread a minimum thickness of line (20lb mono for the big one) through the diver and into the trip mechanism and then it allows you to run any length of leader behind the diver. Just remember to still ad the swivel a few feet in front of the lure. The swivel acts as a stop on the diver as it slides down the line after being tripped. I prefer these to Dispsey as I like to run about 20ft back to the lure when salmon fishing. They are a bit trickier to use but I have more confidence when using them

yeah thanks i just realized what i wrote .... doh , engage brain!

the Rapala will stay in line with the dipsey but it will still push downward on the leader ... but only slightly

is this type of Rapala normally used with a Dipsey ?

Actually if you use a deep diver behind a dipsy it might dive shallower than normal. This is because a deep diving lure will pull downwards harder on the tail end of the dipsy, messing up the angle of the dipsy and making it dive a little less. Although if you are using a magnum it might not make a big difference.

Actually if you use a deep diver behind a dipsy it might dive shallower than normal. This is because a deep diving lure will pull downwards harder on the tail end of the dipsy, messing up the angle of the dipsy and making it dive a little less. Although if you are using a magnum it might not make a big difference.

This is true, don't run deep divers behind dipsy's, jets or any other diving device it totally screws up the diving action.I recently was introduced to Torpedo weights, there really nice to use to acheive depth and don't have hardly any resitance compared to deep divers, I would love to try them on northern Lake trout lakes.

Thanks folks for the info. Just picked up a Jointed Rapala at lunch today.

Will try trolling with that and a spoons. I figure I'll run one rod with a dipsey and my son can have the other rod running with something a little shallower.

And if its calm enough we'll jig with the white tubes. Hope to put a laker into the net !!!

If all else fails there is smallies and rock bass ...