Liberty Lake

adolson

So, I don't know the first thing about fishing for trout, but I was doing a bit of reading and see that August 1st is a holiday, and is also the opener for auroras. Liberty Lake is about two hours away from me and open this year. Considering the aurora trout lakes rotate every three years, and the limit is 1 for sports license, what would you do? There's a part of me that wants to hit somewhere closer to home and catch as many fish as I can, all day long, and maybe camp somewhere. Then another part of me that wants to be in the 2% or whatever it is who can say they've landed and seen an aurora trout. They look very pretty.

There must be someone here who has hit Liberty before? Possible to get there with a car (without destroying it)? Would you do it

Edit: I saw a comment here from Gary from brooktrout.ca from a few years back saying that the auroras didn't survive in Liberty - if that's the case, I guess that decides my long weekend for me..

Edited by Dana

Yes Dana... you can get that far down Red Squirrel in a car without hurting it, but take a couple gallons of water with you to clear your windshield off of dust for departure to be safe!

The Aurora's did tank a few years back and the lake wasn't opened as planned. It was open a few years ago and many went in and fished and as far as I know nothing has changed this year and it's still open. Best to call the North Bay MNR just to check it's indeed open this year before driving all the way in there to be greeted by a sign saying No Fishing ! Another that would know would be Gramps tackle shop.

It could make for a good photo-shoot, if you can catch one. I don't know the first thing about catching Aurora's but I imagine they are similar to brook trout in behavior.

Their history makes for a good read, they have only been found naturally in two Ontario lakes.

http://www.auroratrout.com/locating-aurora-trout.html

Thanks for the responses. I read that entire site earlier today. :) I am still considering going. If I don't, it'll be another three years before I could go again. Well, if I don't go between now and October or whenever the season closes. I may call somewhere to make sure the lake is open, as suggested, so I at least know.