Hottest four days of my life

Rod Caster

Our yearly pilgrimage to the Ottawa River shores couldn't have come at a better time... pure sun and not an ounce of rain. I darkened much closer to "chocolate brown" on the color wheel and managed to avoid sunburns by applying sunscreen very liberally and very often. The fishing was very tough and only one walleye, a couple sauger and a couple of bass were caught. The Ottawa river isn't very friendly to a sportspal canoe, so that took a bite out of my confidence. My camping buddies aren't huge into fishing, which also made it difficult to get serious... all in all I didn't mind at all. thumbsup_anim.gif What a fantastic trip I had!

I left much earlier than everyone else to stop at my favorite honey hole en-route, hoping to get the big pike I had seen on my last outing. I opted for a large bucktail spinner and here were the results from the first two casts:

100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

After the first two eager-beavers were released, the bite slowed down with the bucktail so I switched to a smaller mepps looking for walleye...with success:

100_0004.jpg

Thursday the 21st was stupid hot, in fact it might be the hottest day I've ever experienced! The long journey accross the Ottawa was tough and sweaty with a loaded sportspal and only me paddling, but I managed and had a big beach to look forward to:

100_0005.jpg

In the early evening, I caught breakie for myself and my non-fish-eating buddies. Here's a tip: if you know someone who doesn't like fish, try using cajun spice, I've made many- a-convert with cajun spice.

100_0015.jpg

A nice OFC 5:30 wake-up:

100_0031.jpg

Throughout the four days, sturgeon were jumping clear out of the water along the shores, we put the masks and snorkels on and actually saw a few up close. Even just walking slowly, or paddling quietely, you could see them all over the beach. They were all around 3-4feet long.... they must be making a comeback because these fish were EVERYWHERE! Good to see for certain.

100_0050.jpg

The military flew by us a couple times at low altitudes, below the radar if you will.

100_0062.jpg

I have one more trip in August to look forward to. LSPP here I come!! Thanks for looking canadian.gif

Thanks for tha RC. Some nice areas along the Ottawa. Tons of Sturgeon around here too. Was out the other morning, and had some huge 4-5 footers going airborn near my boat. Awesome display.

Thanks for sharing your tripthumbsup_anim.gif

Great report Man. A few fish is a hell of a lot better the none.

Hope you have a blast at LSPP. What site are you staying in?

We haven't decide exactly where we are staying yet at LSPP. I've never been, so I have much to consider haha.

I've been going on an annual camping trip with a buddy for a few years now. I tell the wife that it is a fishing trip, that is why we go so far away. While the fishing is fun the real reason for the trip is to get away from it all and relax with a friend. I have never had great success fishing but have always loved the trips.