Question about Roller Trailer

linweir

Does roller number matter? For example, one trailer with 24 rollers can handle a little more weight than one with 20 rollers?

My boat weight is 2800 pd dry including everything. Is it safe to use a trailer of 3100 pd capacity?

I don't think the weight capacity is actually derived from the number of rollers, that comes from the frame, springs, axles and tires. Obviously the more rolers you have, the more surface contact area you have with the bottom of the hull and spreads the weight out more over the hull. The trick is to have all the rollers applying equal load bearing.

the usual black 4-5" rollers you see everywhere are rated at 125-150lbs each. so, id just take the weight of the boat + fuel + gear divide by 125 and build to suit. as rollers dont distribute weight as well as bunks,the more you can afford to stuff under there the better, i've made trailers with 256 rollers on them.

im assuming the 3100lbs is the carrying capacity of the trailer you mentioned, not its gross carrying capacity, which would include its own weight.

likely a 3500 lb axle less the trailer weight (which probably exceeds 400lbs) has resulted in an optimistic 3100lbs. @ 2800 lbs dry you're really pushing it considering a few hundred lbs of fuel plus all your gear. you are in that no man's land between single and double axle....

Years ago a friend had a 20' glass I/O on a roller trailer and if the boat was loaded even slightly off centre the rollers would push into the sides of the boat to the point that they looked like they'd puncture it.

Always seemed to me that there weren't nearly enough rollers on that trailer.