Sign in to follow this  
troutologist

Learning about deep diving cranks on LOTW

A few like minded folks got together to learn how we could start targeting trophy walleye on deep diving cranks such as reef runners and TD11 rapalas. I had very little confidence in this technique and it would take some convincing to keep at it. Well after a few depth and colour tweeks we got onto something. After lighting up the fish last week Lindy rigging and jigging, we found out what some bigger fish wanted....cranks.

They crushed them!

LOTW_2011_07_24_1839.jpg

Sure, I've got a lot to learn before dialing this right in, but its a very good start.

Next time your out fishing, pick a technique you want to learn and stick with it...its all about expanding your arsenal as an angler to consistently improve your odds of catching more and bigger fish.

Nicely done, Jay! As usual, your patience has paid off....what's the pattern so far? Are they relating to structure at a certain depth, or are you looking for baitballs, or...? good.gif

Nicely done, Jay! As usual, your patience has paid off....what's the pattern so far? Are they relating to structure at a certain depth, or are you looking for baitballs, or...? good.gif

All about crashing bottom and pulling the cranks off structure, notice which hook the fish in the pic came on....hitting it from below, this was consistent.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• Shallow or Deep for those eyes?

Water levels have dropped 6 inches in the last week on Pigeon. Still 12 inches above summer levels.  Season opens Saturday. I always struggle in May.  The June pattern of rip jigging weeds doesn’t work for me early season.  What’s your approach going to be? 

in General Discussion

• Diving with the biggest Great White on record ...

At 6 metres long and 2.5 tonnes she's a big girl  ... the pictures are incredible ... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46909353  

in General Discussion

• Knowledge is Key-Always Learning

I've been fishing most of my life and am well aware that I am not even close to knowing everything there is to know about fishing! that's why I take advantage of every opportunity to watch a YouTube video, sit in on a seminar or catch a webinar live. Josh Douglas, a successful and well-known FLW Tour pro is hosting a FREE webinar next Tues. Oct. 23, 2018 and share with everyone how to Utilize your Navionics maps alongside your electronics to catch more fish. Josh is very personable and extremely

in General Discussion

• Fly tying knots, catching up and still learning

Just re rigged up my 5wt. Been a year since I threw the fly and I am still very much a novice. Oh I was gung ho back a couple of years ago, but kinda stepped back, but getting the itch again. I have learned to tie the blood knot, but have found the uni from fly line to leader , much faster and easier and holds well. Leader to tippit, I just loop to loop. As for the my main tie to the fly, I have found the Davey knot by far the quickest and easiest to do.   My question is, am I good with this s

in General Discussion

• retirement trip advice wanted - 4 spots 2 fish in the LOTW area

Having never been to to LOTW I wondered what those who have been to LOTW area would think of 4 good and different spots to fish to get a feel for both the fishing and the different landscapes of the region. If asked for Southern Ontario I might suggest, the Ottawa river, Kesagami, Lake St. Clair, and Manitoulin. I've heard good things about Pipestone, and Lac Seul. Shoal lake looks less developed. Looking forward to your suggestions

in General Discussion